The rapid plasma reagin test market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.1% during the forecast period. The rapid plasma reagin (RPR) test is a serological test that is used to screen for syphilis, a sexually transmitted infection caused by spirochete bacterium treponema pallidum. Symptoms of syphilis are common to many other illnesses. Some of the early symptoms include fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, rash, and sore throat. Moreover, people who have early-stage syphilis may have sores or lesions, and these can pass the infection on to other people during sexual contact. If syphilis is not detected, it can stay in the body for many years and can harm internal organs. Over time it can cause paralysis, blindness, numbness, and even death. Syphilis can be cured if it is diagnosed in the early stages; this significantly increases the importance of proper and timely diagnostics.
As per the study published in the Current Epidemiology Reports 2018, every year, around 6 million new cases of syphilis were observed in persons aged 15 to 49 years globally. In addition, over 300,000 fetal and neonatal deaths were due to syphilis, and nearly 215,000 infants are at risk of early death due to syphilis.
Increasing incidence of syphilis, growing awareness for sexually transmitted diseases and technological advancement, and the launch of the new products for rapid plasma reagin testing are the key driving factors in the rapid plasma reagin test market.
Key Market Trends
The Rapid Plasma Reagin Test Kits Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Rapid Plasma Reagin Test Market
- Rapid plasma reagin test kits are used for the qualitative and semi-quantitative determination of reagin antibodies in serum or plasma from persons with syphilis.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 1 million sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are acquired every day globally. Moreover, in 2016, about 9,88,000 pregnant women were infected with syphilis resulting in over 3,50,000 adverse birth outcomes, including 2,00,000 stillbirths and newborn deaths.
- Rapid plasma reagin test kits segment holds a significant market share in the rapid plasma reagin test market and is anticipated to show a similar trend over the forecast period due to the high usage of assays, and the growing availability of the test kits.
- Increasing incidence of sexually transmitted diseases, including syphilis, and technological advancement in rapid plasma reagin testing are the key driving factors in the rapid plasma reagin test kits segment.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market during the Forecast Period
North America is expected to hold a major market share in the global rapid plasma reagin test market due to the increasing incidence of sexually transmitted diseases, including syphilis, and growing awareness regarding the morbidity of sexually transmitted diseases in this region. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the year 2017, about 30,644 cases of primary and secondary (P&S) syphilis were reported in the United States, i.e., 9.5 cases per 100,000 population which represents a 10.5% increase compared with the year 2016 (8.6 cases per 100,000 population), and a 72.7% increase compared with the year 2013 (5.5 cases per 100,000 population). Furthermore, technological advancement and the launch of new products, high healthcare spending, and the presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure are also fueling the growth of the overall regional market to a large extent.
The rapid plasma reagin test market is moderately fragmented competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the leading market players include Cardinal Health Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific, Abbott Laboratories (Alere), F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Danaher Corporation (Beckman Coulter Inc.), Siemens Healthcare, AccuBioTech Co. Ltd, Becton Dickinson and Company, Bio-Rad Laboratories, and bioLytical Laboratories Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support