The topical analgesic market is expected to witness a CAGR of 7.43% during the forecast period. Certain factors that are driving the market growth include increasing prevalence of arthritis, rising cases of sports-related injuries, and growing geriatric population.
A sports injury is creating a huge demand for topical analgesics among athletes. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 2.6 million pediatric patients are treated in emergency departments for sports-related injuries each year. In accordance with the National Safety Council (NSC), in 2017, exercise and the use of exercise equipment led to the most of the sports-related injuries in the United States, with more than 526,000 injuries reported. The same source indicated that basketball, followed with about 500,000 injuries, while bicycling, with 457,000 injuries and football, with 341,000 injuries, ranked third and fourth. Topical analgesics for sports-related injuries act as convenient alternative or adjunct to oral medications since they provide pain relief rapidly and minimal systemic interactions.
Other factors, such as rising geriatric population and increasing prevalence of arthritis are also expected to drive the market studied over the forecast period.
Although the adverse effects arising from topical pain relief products are rare, skin irritation and other complication might restrict its usage and consequently affects the topical analgesic market growth.
Key Market Trends
Non-opioids are Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Drug Type
- In recent years, with emerging chronic pain conditions, the topical route for pain management has seen a resurgence of interest, owing to its potential to deliver therapeutic doses of medication directly to a painful site, circumventing the GI tract, and without any requirement for a needle. Topical non-opioids are found to be more effective in treating acute pain from strains, sprains, contusions, or overuse injuries in superficial locations.
- As per the recommendation of National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), topical NSAIDs in the first instance for joint pain associated with osteoarthritis, in preference to oral NSAIDs are prescribed by the healthcare professionals, owing to concerns over systemic side effects caused by the long term use of oral NSAIDs. Moreover, Various formulations of topical diclofenac are available in the market for the treatment of acute and chronic pain, including Voltaren Gel, Pennsaid solution, and Flector patch, and are used in the setting of osteoarthritis or musculoskeletal pain.
- This makes topically applied NSAIDs to be the first choice for physicians in the initial treatment of pain and which further creates immense commercial opportunity in the topical analgesics market.
The Market is Dominated by North America and is Expected to do Same in the Forecasted Period
- North America topical analgesics is estimated to dominate the industry, owing to well-established healthcare facilities, rising geriatric population, and growing prevalence of chronic pain. In recent years, it has been found that pain affects more Americans than diabetes, heart disease, and cancer combined, which further influence adults to seek medical care. Pain is one of the key reasons behind the leading cause of disability and a major contributor to health care costs in the United States.
- As per the data provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), chronic pain range from 11% to 40% among the adults of the United States. In 2016, an estimated 20.4% of U.S. adults had chronic pain and 8.0% of U.S. adults had high-impact chronic pain. The high prevalence of chronic pain thus indicates the importance of topical pain relief products and consequently helps to drive its market.
- Apart from this, the growing prevalence osteoarthritis acts as one of the key driving factors of the topical analgesic market in the United States, which affects around 30 million US adults. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several topical products that contain the prescription NSAID diclofenac in the form of gels, liquids, and patches for the treatment of osteoarthritis. This is likely to drive the regional market growth furthermore.
The topical analgesic market is highly competitive and consists of a number of major players. Companies like GlaxoSmithKline plc., Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer Inc., Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, and AdvaCare Pharma among others, hold the substantial market share in the topical analgesic market.
Various developments have recently been taking place in the market, such as in March 2019, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, announced the launch of an authorized generic of Flector 1 Patch, in the United States. It is Diclofenac Epolamine Topical Patch, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) indicated for the topical treatment of acute pain arising from minor strains, sprains, and contusions.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support