The retail ready packaging market was valued at USD 63.9 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 90.9 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 4.35% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. RRP is not just a trend among consumer goods brands, it is increasingly becoming a requirement for many brick-and-mortar retailers. Also known as shelf-ready packaging, RRP refers to packaging that arrives at a retailer in a self-contained unit.
- Rapidly expanding mass retails and club stores and the launch of smaller-format locations are expected to drive the demand for the retail-ready packaging market (RRP), as these stores carry a limited product selection than their traditional counterparts. These stores can benefit from RRPs ability to speed stock shelves and increase shelf-space efficiency.
- Not only can RRP minimize packaging waste, but it can also reduce operation costs by cutting down on labor. Retailers also prefer RRP because it creates a more efficient shopping experience for consumers and often triggers impulse purchases.
- However, issues related to lack of standardization and additional supply chain costs are estimated to challenge the growth of the retail-ready packaging market.
- In Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) markets, fragmentation of traditional media channels (such as TV, radio and cinema) and increased awareness on the impact of Point-of-Sale propositions, coupled with multiple retailers’ and brand owners’ requirements for RRP, is resulting in the retail store becoming a much more powerful marketing environment. As a result, global demand for decorative corrugate cases is forecast to grow at double the rate for corrugated as a whole.
- According to a PMMI study, almost 28% of consumers reported that they are willing to pay extra for additional conveniences, in terms of packaging. This is expected to further create opportunities for the retail-ready packaging market, in the future.
Scope of the Report
Retail-ready packaging (RRP) refers to the secondary packaging of retail products to go directly onto the shelf, without the need to unpack inner contents. Type of packages such as Die-Cut Display Containers, Corrugated Cardboard Boxes, Shrink Wrapped Trays, Modified Cases and Plastic Containers ae considered under the scope of the report.
Key Market Trends
Die-cut Display Container to Hold Significant Share
- One of the important factors contributing towards the growth of the global die-cut display container market is the rampant evolution in the retail sector. Die-cut display container is considered as a modern retail packaging solution and is expected to develop along with the progression of hypermarket and supermarket.
- Manufacturer and retailers are gaining huge traction towards die cut display container as it help to reduce cost in terms of providing safety to the product due to re-usable feature which essentially drive the growth of the global die cut display container market.
- Adding to this, the increasing disposable income among the middle class income group, face paced lifestyle and increasing consumption of packaged food is expected to drive the growth of the retail ready packaging market which is relatively the high contributing factor towards the growth of the global die cut display container market.
North America to Hold Significant Share
- North America’s strong financial position enables it to invest in advanced solutions and technologies. These advantages have provided organizations in the region a competitive edge in the retail-ready packaging market.
- Moreover, the region has the presence of several major corrugated board packaging vendors, such as International Paper Company (United States), Georgia-Pacific LLC (United States), and WestRock Company (United States). Hence, there is a strong competition among players operating in the retail-ready packaging market in the region.
- The market is also becoming increasingly adopted in the US, evidenced by the recent announcement of a licensing agreement involving two-piece retail ready packaging between DS Smith and RockTenn
- Furthermore, retailers in this region, such as Walmart, Kroger, and others, are increasingly adopting retail-ready packaging solutions. These stores are establishing guidelines to help standardize and transition their shelves as they adopt new package designs. Walmart, for instance, has published a Retail-Ready Guide to set standards for retail display and shelf packaging for their stores going forward. These guidelines help producers understand the requirement of RRPs and the way they have to be leveraged in stores.
The retail ready packaging market is competitive because of the presence of many players running their business in national and international boundaries. The market is mildly concentrated with the presence of major players likeMondi Group, Smurfit Kappa, DS Smith PLC, International Paper Company, and STI Group, among others.
- June 2019 : DS Smith PLC introduced a new line of loop ready packaging. It is intended to be more robust and to be used multiple times before its recycled. They are designed to deliver a zero-waste option for many of retailers’ most popular products while maintaining affordability, improving convenience and closing the loop to ensure a circular life cycle.
- September 2018 : Smurfit Kappa announced the launch of its new Shelf Facer technology, featuring in-built merchandising to boost on-shelf presence. Shelf Facer is a shelf-ready pack designed to boost product sales and raise brand awareness in-store.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support