The Meat Packaging market was valued at USD 12.1 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 13.65 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 4.37% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. With the growing demand for meat products, the demand for quality and attractive meat p With the growing demand for meat products, the demand for quality and attractive meat packaging is rising. Packaging can help in maintaining the existing quality of meat and delay the onset of spoilage by controlling the factors that contribute to it.
- According to the OECD and FAO, the per capita meat consumption across the world is 34.4 kilograms in 2019 and is projected to increase to 34.9 kilograms by 2024. There is a strong demand for products, like packaged meat, mainly because most of the consumers across the world are preferring the convenience of ready-to-serve foods. For instance, as per the US Department of Agriculture and Economic Research Service, in 2017, the most consumed type of meat in the US was broiler chicken, at about 91 pounds per capita. This is expected to increase to 94.3 pounds per capita by 2028. As per the American Institute for Packaging and the Environment, in 2017, around 68% of meat in the country was packaged.
- One of the important factors in meat packaging is the type of meat being packaged. Large pork and beef packing plants use vacuum packaging to preserve meat. Vacuum packaging removes oxygen within the package that helps to preserve the meat within the packaging. Grocery stores mostly use a stretchable plastic meat film coupled with a bottom foam tray.
- Rising use of eco-friendly packaging techniques is one of the primary trends influencing the meat packaging market. This is mainly due to the increasing environmental concerns that have compelled the manufacturers to focus on the use of such packaging products. For instance, various supermarket stores such as Poiesz, EkoPlaza, etc., switched completely towards compostable meat trays by Bio4Pack to package organic meat. The tray, film, label, and absorption pad are all bio-based and compostable and are indistinguishable from traditional meat packaging.
Scope of the Report
Packaging plays an important role in the preservation of the term and extent of the shelf life of meat. Without packaging, the food can be compromised as it is contaminated by direct contact with chemical, physical and biological contaminants. In recent years, the development of unique food packaging technologies (Vaccum packaging and Active and Intelligent packaging) has increased the shelf life and quality of food, thus, bringing convenience to consumers.
Key Market Trends
Fresh and Frozen Meat is Expected to Hold a Significant Share
- Meat, especially frozen meat products have been continuously consumed and are in demand attributed to convenience factors associated. Frozen meat products are quick, simple-to-cook, and time-saving. Furthermore, changing lifestyles, increasing disposable income, and increasing demand for packaged food in various countries is expected to drive the demand for frozen meat over the forecast period.
- For instance, according to the Swedish Board of Agriculture, in 2017, the per capita consumption of fresh and frozen meat in Sweden amounted to 52 kilograms. Similarly, in other countries, such as Canada, as per Statistics Canada, in August 2019, there were 95,910 metric tons of frozen poultry meat in the country, an increase from 91,770 the previous month. As fresh and frozen meat is likely to have a shorter shelf life, thus, it is important to opt for the right packaging to keep it in a hygienic condition for a longer time. For instance, Modified atmosphere packaging can increase usable shelf life for fresh meats by up to 400%.
- Companies such as AR Packaging, in 2019, launched a gas tight pressed board tray packaging for chilled foods like fresh meat and chicken, ready meals, etc., which offers an efficient solution for giving a shelf life for at least 18 days.
North America is Expected to Hold the Largest Share
- According to the FAO and OECD, the per capita consumption of meat was highest in North America, at around 95 kilograms per person between 2016 and 2018. This number is expected to rise to 97.15 kilograms by 2028. The region also occupies a significant share in the meat production. For instance, according to the US Department of Agriculture and the USDA Foreign Agricultural Service, in 2019, around 19.7 million metric tons of broiler meat was produced in the US, the top producer of broiler meat across the world. Thus, increasing the consumption of meat products is likely to influence the growth of the meat packaging market in the region.
- Meat packaging in the region has stringent requirements for hygiene. For instance, the US meat packaging sector is highly regulated, and packaging materials used in the country must meet FDA standards for safety and efficacy. As the plastics are creating a damaging impact on the environment, companies in the region are exploring more environment-friendly packaging options. In 2017, the US Food and Drug Administration allowed recycled PET fiber to be used for meat packaging.
- Moreover, the region is expected to experience substantial growth due to a steady rise in R&D investment to provide innovative packaging techniques. For instance, in 2017, food scientists at Oregon State University developed a water-resistant and antimicrobial edible film (made from two naturally occurring fibers) that can extend the shelf life of food with wet surfaces, like meat. This film can replace non-biodegradable waxed papers or other synthetic polymers that are currently used in meat packaging.
The meat packaging market is marked with intense competition and consists of several major players. Companies in the market are continuously involved in increasing their market presence by introducing new products, expanding their operations, or by entering into strategic mergers and acquisitions.
- February 2019 - Bio4Pack launched a sustainable solution for the fresh meat packaging, which complies with the requirements of the EN13432 certification standard concerning compostability.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support