The France crop protection chemicals market is projected to witness a CAGR of 2.8% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
- The need for increased agricultural productivity resulting from ever-increasing demand for food is driving the need for the adoption of crop protection chemicals. This, coupled with increasing need of food safety with significant government support helps the country for more use of crop protection chemicals.
- In 2016, France banned the usage of synthetic pesticide, such as neonicotinoid pesticides, which are reported to plunge the bee’s population. Bee is crucial for pollination of crops, and continuous usage of synthetic pesticide would result in the decrease of a number of bees, thereby lowering yield of crops.
- Insecticides remain the most common type of chemical crop protection, while the scope for introduction of herbicide-tolerant seeds could see a dramatic shift in the use of chemical crop protection products.
Key Market Trends
High Demand of Bio-Pesticides
France is the third-largest biopesticide market in Europe, which held around 20.5% share of the total European biopesticide market in 2019. The country has historically been one of the most dominant agricultural centers in Europe. Despite decades of research on biological control and a significant number of biopesticides shown to be efficient in laboratory conditions, few products are currently registered for use in France.
France introduced a scheme “Ecophyto 2018”, which aims at reducing 50% of synthetic pesticide consumption, over the period 2008-2018. The presence of synthetic pesticides in agrochemicals is a major concern for the environment and human and animal health, which could play a key role in driving the growth of biopesticides. The French R&D network, including INRA, covers various aspects of biopesticide research, such as developing new products, understanding the determinants of their effectiveness, obtaining information on their mode of action, and carefully managing their use once they become commercially available.
Fungicides Remain the Largest Segment by Type
France is the largest consumer of fungicides, within Europe, with ideal wet conditions for the spread of fungicides, especially Septoria tritici blotch (STB). The major factors affecting the pattern of consumption are changes in crop acreage, pest resistance, pesticide regulation, and adoption of technology. Increased adoption and high efficiency of fungicides have fueled industry growth.
In the recent years, the popularity of bio-fungicides has increased among farmers, producers, and end consumers. Factors such as rising demand for food safety and security, and government support, are driving the growth of this industry. The development of bio-pesticides or eco-friendly crop protection products has become a priority for research and funding agencies around the world. Growing profits in organic farming influence farmers to look for synthetic chemical alternatives to control plant health.
The France crop protection chemicals market is moderately fragmented with major global and national players occupying almost half of the market. Companies are not only competing based on product quality and promotion but also focused on strategic moves to hold larger market shares. The major companies dominating the Indian market for its products, services, and continuous product developments are Bayer CropScience, Syngenta, UPL Limited, Corteva Agriscience, Sumitomo Chemical, and Novozymes among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support