The European sugar substitute market is growing at a CAGR of 4.78% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- The sugar substitute market forms an integral part of the sugar industry in the region. It is driven by the rising demand for different types of sugar substitute products such as high-intensity sweeteners, low-intensity sweeteners, and high-fructose syrup in food, beverage, and healthcare applications.
- The sugar substitute market is projected to grow in developing countries due to the rise in health problems due to sugar consumption and increasing awareness & preference for low-calorie food and beverage products in European countries such as United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, and others. The growth in the sugar substitutes market in the region is also attributed to the increasing use of sugar substitutes in the health & pharmaceutical industries.
- Manufacturers are increasingly exploring alternative sweeteners which are low in calorie without compromising on the taste. Major threat is the availability other low-calorie sweeteners. The growth in sports nutrition drinks and health drinks market is further providing boost to the sugar substitute market in Europe.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Low-Sugar Food Products
Increasing demand for low-calorie sweeteners from food and beverage manufacturers have been increased from the last few years, owing to the rising concern over obesity and diabetes across the world. Many key players in beverages are replacing the application of traditional sugar with sugar substitutes and are introducing the products with natural low-calorie sweeteners such as stevia. For instance, in 2018, Coca-Cola launched Coke “Coca-Cola Life” sweetened with 100% stevia in the United Kingdom. The company is also planning to introduce similar products across the European region in the upcoming years. Increasingly, consumers from European countries such as, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom are inclined toward low-sugar fruits and vegetable juices, which is driving the demand for sugar substitutes under beverage applications.
Germany Hold’s a Significant Share in the Market
In the European region, Germany is a considerable market for sugar substitutes owing to an increase in the consumption of processed food products coupled with increasing the diabetic population in the country is driving the market’s growth at a faster pace in the country. The non-calorie sweeteners or sugar substitutes, such as aspartame and sucralose, (after attaining government authorization), are widely used in the production of soft drinks in the country. Fluctuating prices of sugar in the country and growing domestic markets for health foods, such as diabetic food and low-calorie food, are propelling the growth of the market. Furthermore, Germany is the major European country with the highest diabetic population in the region and among the ten major diabetic countries around the globe.
Europe's sugar substitute market is fragmented with the presence of a large number of global food ingredient players competing in the market. Few of the key leading players in the market are Tate & Lyle PLC, Cargill, Incorporated, Ingredion Incorporated, Kerry Group plc, Roquette Frères, Koninklijke DSM N.V., DuPont de Nemours, Inc., Archer Daniels Midland Company, and others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support