The Europe intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance market is projected to grow with a CAGR of more than 4 % during the forecast period.
- The Europe Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Market is expected to grow rapidly because of the countries in the region are not only investing heavily in securing their borders on land & sea.
- Rapid technological evolution in the ISR market is forcing the countries to spend more on procurement of latest technologies. Inclusion of latest technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning in ISR is helping the military forces to a great extent.
- The region has many developed nations like France, Italy, United Kingdom etc. which are spending heavily to procure latest technologies for their armed forces to safeguard their areas from intrusion and keep a close eye on the international borders.
- However, because of the ongoing pandemic COVID-19, the market is expected to witness slowdown till second half of the calendar year 2021 until things come back to normal after that the market is expected to witness growth.
Key Market Trends
Air Segment Holds Largest Market Share
By platform, Europe ISR market is segmented into Land, Sea, Air and Space. Owing to the increased popularity and applications of the unmanned aerial vehicles and communication systems registered the highest growth in the year 2019 and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
The European Union under the PESCO Projects initiative has started the European High Atmosphere Airship Platform (EHAAP) – Persistent Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Capability. The project aims at developing cost-efficient and innovative ISR platform (balloon based) that will provide persistence in the area of operations and a high degree of freedom of movement derived from its operating altitude and outstanding Dual Use characteristics.
In July 2020, the budget committee of the German parliament, approved nearly EUR 1 billion for Global 6000 intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft, and other defense equipment.
In November 2019, Boeing Delivered First P-8A Poseidon to United Kingdom’s Royal Air Force. The P-8 is a long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft capable of broad-area, maritime and littoral operations. In addition, the P-8 performs humanitarian and search and rescue missions around the globe.
France Leads the European Market in 2019
During the year 2019, France registered the highest market share in the region and is expected to dominate the region during the forecast period. Owing to the increased spending of the government in the country in defense sector to replace the old technology under the modernization program of the defense technology. The French government pledged an annual EUR 1.7 billion increase in the defense budget until 2022, and then EUR3 billion until 2025.
In February 2018, French and U.S. officials conducted meetings about fitting an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance pod on medium-altitude, long-endurance Reaper drones ordered by the French Air Force. The ISR pods would be fitted on the last six General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper Block 5 drones ordered by France.
In June 2019, Safran’s Patroller tactical drone, developed and produced in France by Safran Electronics & Defense, has started the final phase of the industrial qualification at the Istres DGA flight test center in southern France.
In January 2020, Thales Alenia Space and Thales signed a contract this week with the DGA, France’s defense procurement agency, to study if intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sensors could work from an airship. The aim of the project is to see if stratospheric platforms of this type, operating from an altitude of 20 kilometers (65,600 feet), where the winds are moderate and the air density sufficient to carry them, could be useful to the French armed forces.
The major players in Europe Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Market are BAE Systems, General Dynamics, Elbit Systems Ltd. and L3Harris Technologies Inc.
In June 2020, e-GEOS, a company set up by Telespazio (80%) and the Italian Space Agency (20%), has been awarded a contract by the European Commission for the PEONEER (Persistent Earth Observation for actioNable intElligence survEillance and Reconnaissance) project, which is part of the European Union’s European Defence Industrial Development Programme.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support