The coherent radar market is expected to exhibit a growth rate of more than 3% during the forecast period (2020 – 2025).
- The rise in terrorism, illicit trade, and trafficking, geopolitical tensions in certain geographies such as Middle-East and Asia-Pacific have led to a rise in defense expenditure on modernizing the surveillance technology, such as coherent radar, to detect any potential threat.
- The rapid digitization of the battlefield has fostered the adoption of C4ISR systems to gain a tactical edge over the hostile forces. These include the assimilation of data from a variety of sources, including passive detection and monitoring through the use of coherent radars, thereby driving the adoption of such systems.
- However, the adoption of advanced coherent radar systems is limited to technologically advanced countries. Hence, the market growth can be deleteriously affected by the diversion of procurement and R&D funds towards other sectors due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. A subsequent temporary setback is thereby anticipated during the first half of the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Airborne Coherent Radar Segment To Exhibit The Highest Growth Rate
Countries across the world are significantly increasing their spending in the development and procurement of multirole and stealth fighter aircraft equipped with advanced EO/IR systems, early warning systems, all-weather radar systems, etc. European countries such as France, Germany, Russia, United Kingdom, etc. are currently working on the development of stealth fighter jet technology. France, Spain, and Germany are co-developing Future Combat Air System to replace the older fleet of fighter aircraft such as F-18 and Typhoon. The United Kingdom is also working on its highly advanced Tempest fighter jet equipped with stealth technology, unmanned air flight systems, directed energy weapon systems, etc. and the aircraft is expected to enter service by 2035, replacing the fleet of Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft. Countries such as India, Israel, Turkey, etc. are also investing in the development and procurement of unmanned air vehicles to boost their ISR strength. In 2020, the United States offer 30 Sea Guardian (unarmed naval version of the Predator-B drone) to India for nearly USD 4 billion. However, India showed interest in the armed variant to acquire multiple capability drones at a lower price. The adoption of stealth technology by the defense forces of several countries necessitates the integration of coherent radar systems on board the aircraft to silently monitor the target and penetrate enemy air defenses to neutralize them if the need arises.
North America To Exhibit The Highest Growth Rate
In North America, the United States is an avid developer and user of sophisticated radar technologies such as coherent radar. The defense budget of the United States for FY2020 was over USD 730 billion and is directed towards naval fleet modernization and expansion, stealth fighter production, battle management systems, air defense systems, etc. to counter the growing threat from countries such as Iran, China, Russia, etc. and this factor is heavily driving the demand for coherent radar systems in the country. North America is also home to leading defense technology firms that are constantly investing in the development of offer advanced situational awareness enhancement systems. For instance, in March 2020, Raven Industries Inc. introduced its HiPointer 100 coherent radar system that can be deployed even by a single operator and provides exceptional tracking, range detection, and ISR functionality for land, sea, and air-based operations.
The Coherent Radar Systems Market is highly consolidated and the leading players such as Hensoldt Holding Germany GmbH, Raytheon Technologies Corporation, BAE Systems plc, Leonardo S.p.A., and Thales Group, account for a majority of the market share. These companies are focusing their resources to develop advanced radar technology to help them secure long-term partnerships with end-user countries and design systems that can be easily integrated with a wide range of military assets.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support