The growth of the global cholera vaccines market can be attributed to multiple factors, such as the increasing incidences of cholera, rising initiatives by public and private entities, and growing awareness regarding cholera across the world. In 2017, 10 million doses of oral cholera vaccines were funded in affected countries via stockpile. This stockpile has been accessed 52 times since the funding, by 18 countries across the world, including Sierra Leone and Haiti. However, a lack of access to adequate care for cholera, coupled with a large number of unreported cases, are expected to pull back the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Whole-cell V. cholerae O1 with a Recombinant B-subunit Segment Captures the Largest Market Share
This oral cholera vaccine containing a combination of recombinant B-subunit and killed whole cell V. cholerae O1 has been marketed since early 1990. This vaccine is observed to provide 80-90% protection for six months, post immunization, and in all the cases of immunization of vaccines aged more than 2 years. In addition to this, this vaccines shows around 50% of protection even after three years of immunization. Hence, the efficacy and long-lasting post immunization protections of the vaccine are expected to propel the segment’s growth over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Grow at a High Rate over the Forecast Period
- Asia-Pacific captures the largest market share in the global cholera vaccines market, followed by Europe. This can be attributed to the high incidence rate, growing awareness, and availability of efficient preventive solutions.
- The APAC market experienced exceptional growth since the launch of the oral cholera vaccine, Shanchol.
- According to the statistics of WHO, 12 countries in Asia reported with cholera which constituted about 13% of cases in the total cases worldwide. This statistics showed an overall decrease of 9% from the previous year, owing to growing immunization in the region.
- On the other hand, North America is expected to exhibit the fastest growth rate over the forecast period, owing to the launch of the first ever oral cholera vaccine, Vaxchora, in 2016, and the rise in the number of immigrants.
Some of the significant companies in the market are AstraZeneca, Shantha Biotechnics Private Limited, Valneva SE, Merck & Co. Inc., and PaxVax Inc. The major market players, in order to retain a strong market position, focus on mergers, acquisitions, and product innovation. Also, licensing rights on the vaccines of some major companies give them the leverage of a strong market foothold. For instance, the licensing rights of Dukoral were conferred to Valneva SE, post-acquisition of Crucell Sweden AB, in turn, strengthening the company’s cholera vaccine portfolio and overall market position.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support