The global cancer burden has been increasing, and thus, cancer therapies must be modified according to regional and national priorities.
- According to the World Cancer Research Fund, in 2018, there had been an estimated 18 million cancer cases around the world, of which 9.5 million cases were in men and 8.5 million in women.
- Lung and breast cancers are the most common prevalent cancers, which contributed to about 12.3% of the total number of new cases that were diagnosed in 2018. Colorectal cancer was the third-most common cancer, with a prevalence of 1.8 million new cases in 2018, according to the World Cancer Research Fund.
- The increasing cancer burden is due to many related factors, including population growth and aging, and the changing prevalence of certain causes of cancer linked to social and economic developments. Cancer has also been associated with lifestyles.
- The above-mentioned statistics indicate the high burden of cancer across the world, which is expected to drive the growth of cell line development market, as there is been an increasing demand for the novel therapeutics to deal with cancer.
Key Market Trends
Mammalian Cell Line Development is Expected to Register Rapid Growth Over the Forecast Period
It has been observed that since the year 2006, there has been a rise in the number of recombinant protein therapeutics approved by the FDA. The National Institute of Health has stated that there were more than 15 novels recombinant protein therapeutics approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) each year. In addition, the expiration of the branded drugs has given rise to the emergence of biosimilars. As a result, there has been a growing demand for cell line development. Most of the biopharmaceutical companies that develop mammalian cell lines are based on either the methotrexate (MTX) amplification technology or the glutamine synthetase (GS) system.
With the utilization of mammalian cell lines, the cell clones obtained are highly heterogeneous and large numbers of cell clones have to be screened to identify rare stable high producer cell clones. To make the screening process easier, there have been several advances done in the mammalian cell line development, which has been making it the more preferred source for cell line development. Therefore, with the advancements being done in mammalian cell lines, the segment is expected to witness healthy growth during the future.
United States Dominates the Market
The United States has a better healthcare infrastructure, compared to most of the developed countries. The presence of key players in the United States is the major factor propelling the growth of the market studied in the country. Furthermore, support from the US government to accelerate the research in the biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industry has been augmenting the demand for cell line development.
The Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the highest CAGR over the forecast period, due to the growing development in Asian countries, such as India, China, and Japan. Also, the Asia -Pacific market has been posing a great opportunity for new entrants to establish their market in this region.
The cell line development market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. The presence of major market players, such as Thermo Fisher Scientific, Sartorius AG, Promega Corporation, and Merck KGaA, has been, in turn, increasing the overall competitive rivalry in the market. Product advancements and improvement in the cell line development technology by the major players have been increasing the competitive rivalry.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support