The bioplastics packaging market was valued at USD 14.85 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 39.37 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 15% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. Bioplastics have been developed to mitigate the complications instigated by conventional plastics. Bioplastics are prepared from the biodegradable feedstock, which means they can reduce into the soil like any other biological and organic matter. The market for bioplastic packaging has been driven by the increasing awareness about the adversative effects of conventional plastics, which has steered to both consumers and regulatory bodies to opt for bioplastics in its place. Bio-PET and polylactic acid are the main types of bioplastics used for packaging globally.
- According to European Bioplastics, in 2018, global production volumes of bioplastics amounted to about 2.11 million tons with almost 65% of the volume intended for the packaging market considered as the major market segment within the bioplastics business. Fluctuating preference from synthetically derived chemicals yields to eco-friendly substitutes is anticipated to fuel the bioplastic packaging market.
- Chemical manufacturers have augmented their spending for the development of bio-based chemicals with a key intention to decrease dependence on petrochemical feedstocks which is projected to surge the availability of raw materials for bioplastic packaging products.
- More than 200 million tons of waste is produced by plastics triggering major landfill issues. Manufacturers of packaging products are focussing on growing the use of bioplastic packaging, which can decrease this plastic waste to a greater extent.
- R&D efforts to multiply the use of different raw materials such as PBS, PLA, and PBAT in several mainstream packaging applications are also on the increase, with notable results.
Scope of the Report
Biodegradable plastics or compostable plastics are a type of plastic that decomposes and decays naturally in the environment. This is attained when microorganisms in the environment metabolize, digest and break down the structure of that plastics to be carbon dioxide, water, biomass, and no harmful and unsafe materials remain in the environment. In this context, the development and expansion of packaging made from bioplastics that are manufactured from renewable versus fossil resources and that can be naturally recycled and reused, seems promising.
Key Market Trends
Rigid packaging to Holds Dominant Position in Market
- Rigid bioplastics applications are available for cosmetics packaging of compact powders, lipsticks, and creams, as well as beverage bottles. Large application base increases the scope for demand. Materials such as bio-based PE, PLA, or bio-based PET are used in this section.
- Several well-known brands such as Vittel, Coca-Cola, Heinz or Volvic use bio-based PET for bottles of all sizes comprising sparkling drinks and other, non-gaseous fluids and solutions. Johnson & Johnson and Procter & Gamble rely on bio-based PE to package diverse kinds of cosmetic products.
- The great percentage of bio-based material in these products and the capability to combine them with recyclates from conventional PE and PET has resulted in a decisive growth in resource efficiency and a drop of Carbon dioxide releases.
- As a potentially instinctively recyclable material, PLA is also achieving market share in the rigid packaging segment. With rising volumes, a distinct recycling stream will become economically feasible, and the beneficial and advantageous environmental potential of PLA will be further augmented.
European Region Dominates the Market
- Europe is presently among the principal regional markets for bioplastic packaging. The EU has been supportive and helpful of numerous environmental protection initiatives and many countries in Europe have incentivized bioplastic packaging, driving and motivating the regional bioplastic packaging market.
- Also, Europe is expected to be one of the biggest markets for bioplastic packaging over the forecast period on account of strict regulations against consumption and intake of non-recyclable non-biodegradable plastics along with getting the popularity of sustainable packaging in manufacturing business.
- Helpful government policies in Europe that include Europe 2020 strategy which supports bio-economy inspire public authorities to give preference and inclination towards tracking down of biobased products and allowing member states to decrease taxes for biobased products.
- The European Commission had previously presented an action plan on bio-economy to promote the consumption and manufacture of bio-based chemicals at a domestic or national level. The plan is intended for the development of innovative processes and technologies for manufacturing bioplastics resources or materials through the financing of pilot plants and increasing public-private partnerships.
The bioplastics packaging market has a consolidated market structure and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently have dominance in the market of operations. The major players with a prominent share in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across the regions and the end-user industry base. These companies are leveraging on strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability.
- May 2019 - Royal DSM, announced a partnership with CEAD, a supplier of 3D printing equipment focusing on large-scale, highly filled polymer printing. Together, the two companies plan to explore Fused Granulate Fabrication (FGF) technologies and materials to develop new applications in tooling and end-use parts.
- January 2019 - BASF co-founded a global alliance of nearly 30 companies to advance solutions that reduce and eliminate plastic waste in the environment, especially in the ocean. The Alliance to End Plastic Waste (AEPW) committed over USD 1 billion with the goal of investing USD 1.5 billion over the next five years to help end plastic waste in the environment. Solutions are planned to be developed and brought to scale to minimize and manage plastic waste. This also includes the promotion of solutions for used plastics by helping to enable a circular economy.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support