The Asia-Pacific intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance market is projected to grow with a CAGR of more than 5 % during the forecast period.
- The Asia-Pacific Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance Market is expected to grow rapidly because of the countries in the region are not only investing heavily in securing their borders on land but also the sea. Along with the countries like China, Suth Korea, Japan and India are spending heavily in launching satellites in space to establish their dominance in the ISR technology.
- Rapid technological evolution in the ISR market is forcing the countries to spend more on procurement of latest technologies. Inclusion of latest technologies like artificial intelligence and machine learning in ISR is helping the military forces to a great extent.
- However, because of the ongoing pandemic COVID-19, the market is expected to witness slowdown on orders and deliveries till second half of the calendar year 2021 until things come back to normal after that the market is expected to witness improving growth.
Key Market Trends
Air Segment Holds Largest Market Share
By platform, Asia-Pacific Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance is segmented into Land, Sea, Air and Space. Owing to the increased popularity and applications of the unmanned aerial vehicles and communication systems registered the highest growth in the year 2019 and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
The airborne intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance sector is one of the fastest-growing segments of the defense industry, and it is ripe for disruption. Several new technologies and platforms are emerging to meet the evolving collection requirements of the military.
- In June 2020, the Australian Defense Minister announced that the country will purchase an additional Northrop Grumman MQ-4C Triton, bringing the nation’s fleet to three. The Triton is an unarmed, long-range, remotely piloted aircraft that is used for Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance.
- In February 2020, defense scientists in Australia used airborne support to bushfire response using a research aircraft to assist in monitoring fire activity and conduct damage assessments. Data collected by the Defense Experimentation Airborne Platform is being fed into the Defense intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance environment for processing by imagery analysts from the RAAF to ensure relevant, timely and actionable information reaches the people that need it.
India Grows with Highest CAGR
During the year 2019, India registered the highest market share in the region and is expected to grow with the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Owing to the increased spending of the government in the country in defense sector to replace the old technology under the modernization program of the defense technology to keep a close look at international borders and prevent any activities like illegal entry and other threats from terrorists near the international borders of the country.
The government of India is spending heavily in procurement of latest technology ISR equipment to safeguard its interests.
- In June 2019, Indian Government cleared the proposal of about INR 22,500 crore to acquire 10 more Boeing P-8I Poseidon aircraft for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) operations and for Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW).
- In June 2019 United States administration has approved to sell 30 unarmed surveillance version of the Guardian Drones to India for over USD 4 Billion.
The Indian Government is not only securing its land borders but also safeguarding its sea waters from intervention of foreign adversaries. For instance, In March 2020, Indian Navy enhanced submarine patrol in Indian Ocean region with deep submergence rescue vessel. The submarines deployed in forward areas to showcase India’s interest in the Indian Ocean Region. These submarine operations can provide high-quality ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) information during peace times and this capability comes from the submarine’s ability to enter an area to watch, listen and to collect the information because it can operate stealthily close to the action they can capture many elusive signals.
The major players in Asia-Pacific Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance are BAE Systems, General Dynamics, The Boeing Company, Elbit Systems Ltd. and L3Harris Technologies Inc. The ISR technology in the region is evolving with innovative technology to safeguard the interest of the armed forces and the country, the local manufacturers are also given preference by the government to develop and test latest technologies.
In June 2020, Australia’s Department of Defense has commenced a series of tests to deploy high-altitude balloons with intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) payloads into the upper atmosphere with an aim to demonstrate domestically designed and developed launch capabilities that can deliver and maintain sensor payloads to an altitude that significantly improves situational awareness over a wide area.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support