The Asia-Pacific airport ground handling systems market is anticipated to record a CAGR of 9% during the forecast period.
- The growth in air passenger traffic has made airlines expand their fleet sizes, to cater to the rising demand for air travel. This resulted in an increased frequency of flights or aircraft movements, which is expected to increase the demand for airport ground handling systems, to support ground operations.
- The privatization of airports in emerging countries, like India and Japan, is anticipated to increase the investments in the procurement of advanced ground handling systems to cater to the growing passenger traffic. Therefore, the privatization of airports is expected to propel the growth of the market in the coming years.
- The incorporation of advanced technology for airport handling with systems, like electric aircraft tugs, fueling automation systems, and augmented reality (AR) glasses for ramp handling operations, is expected to generate demand for airport ground handling systems in the future.
- The stringent safety, security, and emission norms and regulations are propelling the growth of the market. The market is witnessing innovations in recyclability, portability of equipment, and transformation of gasoline- and diesel-powered ground-support equipment to electric and hybrid powered fleets.
Key Market Trends
The Aircraft Handling Segment is Anticipated to Record the Highest Growth Rate During the Forecast Period
The aircraft handling segment is expected to register the highest growth rate during the forecast period, mainly due to the growing fleet of aircraft, which has increased the flight movements in airports in Asia-Pacific. Also, the trend of using GSE (ground support equipment) that have low emissions rates and create green airports has been gaining popularity over the years. ITW GSE is one of the leading manufacturers of GPUs in the aviation industry. It offers reliable and the most cost-efficient ground support equipment. The company developed ITW GSE 5400 gasoline-powered GPU that runs at a variable speed to reduce NOx and other emissions at airports. Similarly, aircraft pushback tugs and towing vehicles are undergoing modernization, such as electrification and autonomous driving, to reduce ground emissions, occupational hazards, and operational lead times. For instance, as of October 2019, New Delhi Airport in India planned to deploy the semi-robotic Taxibot aircraft tow vehicle. The airport planned to deploy about 15 Taxibots in the next four years. The integration of such innovations into the airport operations may enhance the performance of airport operations, thereby, propelling the demand for aircraft handling systems during the forecast period.
China to Exhibit the Highest Growth Rate During the Forecast Period
China is anticipated to register the highest growth rate during the forecast period. This is mainly due to the increasing investments in airport infrastructure in China to cater to the growing passenger traffic and aircraft movements in the country. According to IATA, China is expected to become the largest aviation market by 2022. According to the Civil Aviation Administration of China’s Civil Aviation Development 13th Five-year Plan, the country plans to build 74 new civil airports by 2020, taking the total to 260, up from 175 in 2010. This amounts to the construction of more than eight new airports per year to cope with the surge in passengers. Also, with the growth in e-commerce in the country, China is witnessing robust growth in cargo and freighter transport, which is anticipated to propel the demand for cargo handling systems in the country. However, the current on-going trade war between China and the United States is anticipated to hamper this growth. In addition to this, China is a global leader in vehicle electrification and has the largest electric bus fleet in the world. The rise in the demand for electric airport shuttle buses is expected to drive the growth in the passenger handling segment of the market in China during the forecast period.
The Asia-Pacific airport ground handling systems market is slightly fragmented with the presence of numerous local and international ground handling systems' manufacturers in the region. The prominent players in the market are John Bean Technologies Corporation, ADELTE Group SL, Cavotec SA, Mototek International GmbH, and Tronair Inc. The growth of companies is dependent on contracts from various airports in the Asia-Pacific region. For instance, in March 2020, Cavotec received two contracts to provide ground support equipment (GSE) and fueling systems from Chengdu Tianfu International Airport and Beijing Capital International Airport. The orders were worth USD 3.29 million. The development of eco-friendly and low-emission products, as well as the advanced ramp and passenger handling systems by manufacturers, may allow them to expand their presence in the market and increase their market shares in the coming years.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support