The airport security screening systems market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period.
- The level of threat from terrorist organizations using CBRN technologies varies with the choice of dispersal agent, technical expertise of the user, and the mode of delivery. Screening technologies are essential for ensuring the safe operations of commercial aviation. The market in focus is the market is dependent on various regional and intercontinental macroeconomic and geopolitical factors; order books from different end-user agencies; and procurement budgets for integration at key infrastructure locations.
- As screening systems are vital to ensure public safety, any malfunction can result in significant loss of life and property. The privacy concerns about the intrusive technologies used by full-body scanners have restrained their adoption rate, which is affecting the global supply chain. Moreover, the relatively low throughput rate of the current generation of screening systems has resulted in integration challenges, while budget cuts have reduced the number of contracts being awarded for procuring and maintaining such equipment.
- Upcoming technologies, such as wearable scanning sensors and advanced scanning equipment based on experimental laser spectrometry detection technology, are expected to have a key impact on the adoption rate of screening systems at airports.
Key Market Trends
Passenger Screening Segment to Experience the Highest Growth During the Forecast Period
Global transportation hubs are susceptible targets of anti-peace activists. An attack on any such location might lead to mass casualties and substantial damage to the economy of the country. As per the International Air Transport Association (IATA), passenger traffic grew by 4.2% during 2019. The rapid growth of air passenger traffic has necessitated radical changes in the SOP of airport terminals to cater to the flow of traffic with minimum capacity constraints while ensuring zero lapses in security protocols. The use of advanced modern weaponry and concealment techniques has led to an augmentation of security implementations at various checkpoints. This, in turn, has driven the installation of advanced screening equipment for personnel and baggage to detect the presence of weapons, explosives, and other threats such as chemical weapons. Moreover, the expansion of air travel, in the form of new airport construction and existing terminal upgrades, is driving the airport security screening systems market. In Africa, several projects are underway in countries such as the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cameroon, Tanzania, and Kenya to improve the safety, security, and operations of public transport hubs through strategic infrastructure investments and capacity planning as per passenger inflow data collected over the last decade.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Generate the Highest Demand During the Forecast Period
The Asia-Pacific region is expected to generate the highest demand for airport security screening systems during the forecast period. India and China are investing heavily in the development of new airports. In 2017, the Indian government envisaged the development of approximately 175 new airports with an investment of USD 4.58 billion during 2018-2028 to cater to the country's exponential increase in domestic passenger traffic. China is one of the largest aviation markets and is expected to exhibit dominant growth in the future. Hence, to ensure adequate security, airports are required to use security solutions that can detect concealed explosives or narcotics effectively, without disrupting passenger flow or experience at checkpoints. Also, to tackle the threat of terrorism, in June 2019, the Indian government modified the standard operating procedures (SOPs) of 84 airports to integrate full-body scanners at security checkpoints. By March 2020, the government plans to install such systems at around 84 airports that are categorized as either hypersensitive or sensitive to a terror attack, while the remaining 21 airports are required to adhere to the regulation by March 2021. Furthermore, in the purview of privacy concerns, the approved full-body scanners would generate an image like a mannequin, and the spots requiring further screening would be highlighted in yellow.
The prominent vendors, such as ADANI Systems Inc., OSI Systems Inc., Smiths Group plc, Westminster Group plc, and NUCTECH COMPANY LIMITED, are expanding their geographical reach by winning numerous contracts and introducing advanced versions of their extensive product offerings in the region. For instance, in April 2018, in a bid to promote the adoption of emerging security screening technologies such as full-body scanning. For instance, in April 2018, ADANI launched the CONPASS DV in Thailand. The company organized a seminar and demonstrated its technology to dignitaries and representatives for clearing any misconceptions that may hinder the adoption. The diversification of geographical markets, in tandem with the product offerings, will be a key criterion for ensuring profitability and survival in the long run.
Manufacturers are expanding their product offerings by launching compact systems to ensure minimal installation constraints in tight spaces at various entry and exit points in transport hubs for boosting the adoption of full-body scanners. Faster check-in processes are being ensured through the introduction of automated passenger scanning systems such as i-Scan from Braun & Co. Ltd. (Braun). Such advanced systems are capable of scanning for a wide range of targeted substances, including concealed threats. Thus, the adoption of advanced automated scanning systems will significantly contribute to the airport security screening systems market during the forecast period.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support