The aircraft auxiliary power unit market is projected to register a CAGR of more than 4% during the forecast period.
- Growing aircraft demand, from both defense and commercial sector, is generating demand for the individual parts and components, like the auxiliary power units (APUs) for the aircraft.
- The need for producing aircraft with high fuel efficiency, less noise, and carbon emissions may drive the R&D in APU technologies in the years to come.
- With the development of more electric architecture in aircraft, the development of all-electric APUs has gained pace over the years. The benefits offered by the use of these electric APUs may provide further growth opportunities for the market in the years to come.
Key Market Trends
The Commercial Segment accounted for the highest market share in 2019
Currently, the commercial segment has the highest market share in the aircraft auxiliary power unit market. Although the sales of general aviation aircraft are higher, the cost of each commercial aircraft APU is more, compared to the general aviation aircraft. Two commercial aerospace giants, Airbus and Boeing, recorded a total of more than 1600 aircraft deliveries in 2018. Thus, the high number of orders for commercial aircraft is helping the market for commercial aircraft APUs. However, a higher growth rate is projected to occur in the general aviation segment. General aviation aircraft shipments are projected to increase their pace in the years to come. Almost 2,443 general aviation fixed-wing aircraft shipments were done globally in 2018, a 5% increase, when compared to that of 2017. These are positive signs for the tier-1 suppliers of the aircraft OEMs, like the suppliers of the APUs for the general aviation segment.
Asia-Pacific to Experience the Highest Growth During the Forecast Period
Due to a large demand for new aircraft in the Asia-Pacific region, the market for APUs in the region is projected to grow at a healthy pace during the forecast period. The region has the highest growth rate in the aviation market. Countries, like China, India, Japan, Australia, and Indonesia, among others, are among the largest aviation markets in the world. Thus, a large number of aircraft are about to be procured by the airlines, to cater to the demand arising from the growing passengers in the region. All these factors are expected to generate demand for APUs for aircraft in the coming years in the region.
Honeywell International Inc., Aerosila, United Technologies Corporation, Technodinamika, and Safran SA are the major players in the market currently. The market is highly fragmented, with these players grabbing almost the entire market share. In February 2019, Boeing and the engine manufacturer Safran announced their 50:50 joint venture, Initium Aerospace, with an aim to provide state-of-the-art APUs and innovative solutions to customers. Through this venture, the aircraft OEM, Boeing, is making a point that it is making strategic investments that strengthen its vertical capabilities and continue to expand its service portfolio. Players in the industry may embrace new technologies, like electric APUs, and work in this regard, so that they may get ready to cater to the next-generation aircraft like those having more electric architecture.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support