The global US freestanding emergency department market is expected to witness a CAGR of 4.9% during the forecast period. Certain factors that have been driving the market growth include a growing number of consumer-driven health plans and federal funding and the rising preference for convenience care.
- The number of freestanding emergency departments (FSEDs) has been growing rapidly in the United States. Proponents of FSEDs cite potential benefits of FSEDs, including lower waiting time and reduced travel distance for needed emergency care.
- Proponents of FSEDs assert that these facilities may improve access to emergency care by reducing the burden of overcrowding in traditional EDs. FSEDs may also decrease health care costs by providing care at a lower reimbursement level compared with traditional EDs.
- However, previous studies on emergency care access and expenditure indicate that the higher access may lead to higher utilization of health care services, which may lead to an increase in overall health care costs.
Key Market Trends
Hospital is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Ownership Segment
There are two types of FSEDs based on their ownership. Satellite FSEDs are owned by hospitals and typically refer FSED patients back to the owning hospital for inpatient care. By contrast, autonomous FSEDs have been owned by physician groups or independent investors. FSEDs need hospital affiliation to receive Medicare reimbursement under the Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS). Under the OPPS, hospital-affiliated FSEDs may receive payment equal to that of hospital-based EDs, which includes a facility fee. The majority of FSEDs are hospital-owned.
The US freestanding emergency department market is highly competitive and consists of a number of major players. Companies, like Adeptus Health Inc., Advis, Ascension Health, EMERUS, Lifepoint Health Inc., Tenet Healthcare Corporation, and Universal Health Services Inc., among others, hold the substantial market share in the US freestanding emergency department market.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support