The market for two-wheeler lubricants is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 4% during the forecast period. Increasing demand for engine oils from developing countries and other factors are driving the market growth. The Impact of COVID-19 and other reasons are expected to hinder the market growth.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Usage of Engine Oils
- Engine Oils are majorly divided into three types: Synthetic engine oil, Semi-synthetic engine oil, and Mineral engine oils. Engine Oils plays a major role in reducing friction and increasing mileage and riding experience in two-wheeler vehicles.
- Two-wheelers have different engine capacities such as <125cc, 126 - 250cc, 251-500cc, and >500cc. With the rapidly changing internal combustion engine technologies and capacities, the lubricants being used are also changing for providing better performance.
- Also, high-mileage four-stroke engine oils are in demand lately, owing to the properties that help in the prevention of oil leaks and the reduction of oil consumption.
- The demand for synthetic engine oils has been rising throughout the world. Most of the high-performance motorcycles (>500cc) use synthetic engine oils, owing to their excellent lubrication and high-temperature resistance properties.
- Engine oils accounted for more than 90% of two-wheeler lubricants market share. This is all because of increasing awareness on bike maintenance among the people, regular interval oil changes, companies' easy service options, and support to customers to save and prolong engine life.
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in the lockdown around the world. Due to this, the lubricant and two-wheeler production units been stopped operations in early 2020. Also, decrease in sales of new vehicles and decrease in puchasing power of middle class consumers is likely to impact two wheelers market and lubricant consumption in near future.
Asia-Pacific Region Dominates the Market
- The demand for two-wheelers in developing countries has been growing vastly. Asia-Pacific, Africa, and Latin America have been the fastest-growing regions in the consumption of two-wheeler lubricants in recent years.
- Some of the developing countries such as India, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Bangladesh, and the Philippines have witnessed a positive growth in the consumption of two-wheeler lubricants in the last five years.
- Increasing urbanization, rising incomes, growing population, and progressive competition between two-wheeler manufacturers offer a better price on vehicles which can be afforded by various groups of people in the region.
- Recently, the demand for mopeds and scooters is increasing as the manufacturers are majorly aiming for old-aged people and women to enlarge the two-wheeler market in Asia. Also, the entry of foreign manufacturers into Asia is one of the reasons to increase the demand for lubricants.
- Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Philippines, and other countries have a high demand for used bikes. However, the sale of new motor vehicles is expected to rise in the next ten years, owing to the increasing local assembly of motor vehicles.
- India is one of the fastest-growing countries in the usage of two-wheelers in the world. Honda, Bajaj, Hero, and Suzuki are the major two-wheeler manufacturing companies that have witnessed a positive growth in recent times in India.
- The impact of COVID-19 resulted in the lockdown of various activities in the region. Due to this, the usage and running of two-wheelers have been stopped for a while. Also, sales and production units have also been paused in early 2020. Because of this, the consumption of lubricants is expected to remain less in the short term.
The two-wheeler lubricant market is fragmented in nature with many players competing in the market. Some of the major companies are Castrol, Royal Dutch Shell Plc, Pertamina, TOTAL S.A, and Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support