South America solar photovoltaic market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 11% during the forecast period. The primary drivers of the market include supportive government policies, rising demand for renewable energy, efforts to reduce GHG emissions, and the declining cost of solar PV systems. The use of effective energy-efficiency law helps not only cover rising energy demand with solar power but also can replace and phase-out of fossil fuels. The increasing demand for the energy on the account of rising population and increasing industrialization is anticipated to boost the solar photovoltaic market in South America. However, the increasing focus on alternative clean energy sources such as natural gas, wind, and biomass are expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- The ground-mounted segment is expected to account for the major share in the South America photovoltaic market during the forecast period.
- The intention to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050 and to strengthen its national climate commitment using long term renewable energy targets is likely to create an opportunity for the market players to penetrate into the South America solar photovoltaic market in the near future.
- Brazil is expected to dominate the solar photovoltaic market in South America during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Ground Mounted Solar PV to Dominate the Market
- The ground-mounted segment holds the largest share than the rooftop segment in the solar PV market, due to the presence of large-scale solar PV projects in the ground-mounted segment.
- Brazil, Chile, Argentina, and Peru are leading the way in solar energy in South America, as the climatic conditions in these countries support high irradiation, which is favorable for the generation of solar energy.
- The governments of these leading countries are making new energy policies and forming public-private partnerships for renewable power energy. The falling costs and supportive government policies and regulations are driving the solar power market in these markets.
- The majority of solar power plants operating in emerging economies, such as Brazil, Argentina, and Peru, are equipped with large-scale ground-mounted modules, providing energy to the residential, commercial, and industrial sectors.
- Moreover, owing the a large number of upcoming solar PV projects, ground mounted segment is expected largest share in the South America solar photovoltaic market over the forecast period.
Brazil is Expected to Dominate in the Market
- Brazil is one of the largest markets for renewable energy in South America. Solar was the most competitive energy source among all renewables featured in 2019. The total solar energy installed capacity in Brazil was 2485 MW in 2019, representing a decent growth rate over the previous year.
- The Brazilian government has started promoting large scale deployment of solar energy to diversify the electricity mix. Some of the key drivers behind the solar energy growth in Brazil are abundant solar resources, growing demand in electricity, the increasing pressure on the Brazilian government on environmental and climate protection, and rapid decrease in prices of PV technology.
- LONGi has signed an agreement with Solatio Energia in 2020, to supply 908 MW of its Hi-MO4 modules for Solatio’s basic services scale solar projects in Latin America and commercial rooftop solar plants in Brazil.
- Furthermore, to increase the share of solar energy in the energy mix, the country aims to invest USD 25 billion by 2030, thereby offering growth opportunities for solar module manufacturers globally.
- South America’s largest solar photovoltaic project is underway in Brazil. Enel Green Power has started operations of a 475 MW section of Sao Goncalo solar photovoltaic plant in the north-east of Brazil has the capacity to produce more than 1,200 gigawatt-hours (GWh) per year when fully functional.
- Overall, Brazil’s solar power sector is set to experience a decent growth, and is likely to dominate the South America solar PV market during the forecast period.
The South America solar photovoltaic market is fragmented. Some of the major players in the market include Enel Green Power S.p.A., Trina Solar Limited, Atlas Renewable Energy, Sonnedix Power Holdings Ltd, and Canadian Solar Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support