The South America nuclear reactor construction market is expected to decline at a CAGR of around 0.5% during the forecast period of 2020 – 2025. Factors such as shift of energy generation from oil and gas towards nuclear energy is expected to be major driver driving the market. Also, advancement in technology, leading to an increase in efficiency and reliability of modern nuclear power plants, has been a significant factor for the growth of the South America nuclear reactor construction market. However, renewable sources of energy making nuclear power uneconomical has somewhat hampered the growth of the market.
- The pressurized water reactor has dominated the market in recent years and is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period, owing to factors like low cost operating reactor, as both the coolant and the moderator used in the reactor is light water and relatively higher controllable and safer nature of the reactor.
- The increase in electricity demand in the region is expected to provide an excellent opportunity for the South America nuclear reactor construction market in the forecast period.
- Argentina is expected to dominate the market, over rising concerns over pollution from energy plants based on coal and rising electricity demand.
Key Market Trends
Pressurized Water Reactor to dominate the Market
- The pressurized water reactor nuclear reactor sector has dominated the market in the past and is expected to do so in the forecast period too. The reactor is the most popular form of the nuclear reactor due to its higher control and safety compared to other forms of reactors.
- PWR has some advantages over other reactors that make it the most used nuclear reactor in the globe. PWR reactors are low cost operating reactor, as both the coolant and the moderator used in the reactor is light water, which is cheaper than other kinds of coolant, like heavy water.
- With less fissile material in the core reactor, chances of additional fission reaction reduce, that makes the reactors to have only the required temperature and reduce the chances of facing any kind of unfavorable conditions, thus making the reactor safer and controllable. Lastly, PWR has separate loops for water and nuclear reaction. This reduces the chances of water contamination with radioactive material.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the market in the forecast period.
Argentina to Witness Significant Growth
- Argentina is expected to witness significant growth in the coming years. The country has been very active in the sector in recent years.
- Moreover, Argentina is building a domestically-designed small modular reactor CAREM 25, which was initially scheduled for start-up in 2017, but now delayed until at least 2020.
- Also, the country is in negotiations with the China National Nuclear Corporation and with Russia for the possible construction of a future nuclear power plant.
- In February 2015, a collaboration agreement was signed between Argentina and China for the construction of a new nuclear plant featuring a light water reactor and enriched uranium in the Republic of Argentina, adopting ACP1000 technology.
- Hence, the Argentina nuclear reactor construction market though being small is expected to grow during the forecast period.
The South America nuclear reactor construction market is consolidated. Some of the major companies are China National Nuclear Corporation, SNC-Lavalin Inc. among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support