The market for Polyurethane Additives is anticipated to register a CAGR of 6.0% during the forecast period. Polyurethanes additives are used to make high-performance products that are strong but lightweight, perform well, and are durable and versatile.
- One of the largest applications is the use of rigid PU foam as wall and roof insulation, insulated panels, and gap fillers for the space around doors and windows. Some rigid PU foams can be applied to seal gaps and cover irregular shapes. Such foams include spray, pour-in-place, and one-component foams, thereby augmenting the growth of the market.
- Stringent Government Regulations are likely to hinder the market’s growth.
- Increasing Demand for More Innovative and Cost-effective Additives are projected to act as an opportunity for the market in future.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Automotive Industry
- The automotive industry provides one of the best examples of the diverse applications of PU materials. Nearly every type of PU product is used in the automotive end-user industry.
- Flexible PU foams are used in seating, headrests, arm rests, HVAC, and other interior systems for automotive, like in airliners, trains, and buses. PU coatings provide a vehicle’s exterior with the high gloss, durability, scratch resistance, and corrosion resistance. PU coatings are also used to glaze windshields and windows, increasing strength and providing fog resistance.
- PU elastomers protect against tire punctures and are used in other molded components, such as shock absorbers. Thermoplastic PU materials are used in the manufacture of many automotive parts, including exterior body parts, trunk liners, anti-lock brake systems, timing belts, and fuel lines. The unique properties of PU elastomers contribute for their exclusive usage in gaskets, O-rings, and other seals.
- Seating is the largest application of PU in the automotive industry. Many automotive seating manufacturers demand flexible foam producers for products made with bio-based polyols. However, market penetration of "green" PU is still in emergence in most global PU markets.
- Globally, more than 90% of automobiles are produced with bonded windshields and rear windows using one-component PU sealants. The automotive industry is the largest end-user industry for reaction injection molding (RIM) PU parts. RIM is used to maximize the shock absorption of vehicle fenders, bumpers, and spoilers, without adding weight or bulk.
- All the aforementioned factors, is expected to drive the global market during the forecast period.
Asia- Pacific to Dominate the Market
- In Asia-Pacific, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP.
- The rapid growth of the furniture manufacturing industry in the country is majorly fueled by the increasing domestic demand, coupled with a significant demand from the foreign market.
- China accounted for almost 40% of the global furniture production. The production was further increased at a rapid rate, due to the increase in domestic demand and exports to European countries.
- The automotive production in China is expected to increase during the forecast period, owing to the popularity of electric vehicles, which is expected to propel the demand for PU additives in the country, in the coming years.
- Such mentioned factors are expected to increase the demand for polyurethane additives in the country.
The polyurethane additives market is partially fragmented. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. Key players in the polyurethane additives market include Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Covestro AG, BASF SE, Dow, GEO Specialty Chemicals Inc., Huntsman International LLC, Eastman Chemical Company, Evonik Industries AG, KAO Corporation, Tosoh Corporation among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support