The global pediatric vaccine market is expected to register a 7% CAGR during the forecast period 2020-2025. The growth of the pediatric vaccines market is attributed to the rising burden of chronic disease with the importance and awareness of immunization, technological advancements in vaccines, an increase in the government and non-government funding in R&D.
As per the World Health Organization (WHO), 2019, new surveillance data reported that the cases of measles and rubella rose by 300% in the first three months of 2019, compared to the same period of 2018. This increase has been observed in two consecutive years, with outbreaks mainly in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Madagascar, Myanmar, Philippines, Sudan, Thailand, and Ukraine, mostly among the children. Furthermore, in between the period of Jan 01 to Jul, 31, 2019, the 182 countries reported 364,808 measles cases to the World Health Organization (WHO), compared to 129,239 measles cases, during the same period in 2018.
As immunization plays a significant role in modern medicine, there are several international programs for children, which may vary based on the disease. However, these programs are primarily driving the demand for the pediatric vaccines market.
There are many initiatives going on each year across many countries to urge for greater action on immunization. The aim of many organizations active in this healthcare segment is to extend the immunization having present coverage of less than 80% or 60%. As per the 2019 initiative under Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), about 20 countries planned to vaccinate more than 2.25 million children and adults against measles, through initiatives and innovative awareness programs. In 2017, about 116.2 million children were immunized, which was highest ever reported, as per the WHO. This is likely to positively impact the market growth.
On the other hand, high cost of immunization and access of healthcare in low and middle income countries anticipated to hamper the market growth over the foreast period.
Key Market Trends
The Conjugate Vaccine Segment Expected to Grow at a Significant Rate
- Conjugate vaccines consist of antigens (Poly or oligosaccharides) that are chemically attached to the carrier protein. Attaching the saccharides to protein converts polysaccharides to T-dependent antigens, which elicit robust immune responses in infants and adults. These “glycoconjugate” vaccines elicit T-cell help for B-cells that produce IgG antibodies to the conjugated polysaccharide.
- The CDC recommends the routine administration of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13 or Prevnar13) for all children below two years of age.
- Furthermore, the rising focus on research government initiatives on vaccination, growing awareness coupled with the companies' efforts in advancing the vaccines is expected to have a direct correlation with market growth.
- In May 2017, Pfizers 13-valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV 13) to prevent pneumonia has been selected for the immunization program in certain states of India. In the first phase of vaccination it has covered around 5.15 million babies. Pfizer Inc has supplied the vaccine through UNICEF, under the auspices of Gavi.
- Morover, Live attenuated vaccines to register significant growth over the forecast period. The major advantage associated with live attenuated vaccine is that only small doses are required and also no boosters needed, owing to strong immune response triggered by live attenuated vaccines.
The North American Region Holds the Largest Market Share of the Pediatric Vaccines Market, and is Projected to Follow the Same Trend over the Forecast Period
The North America pediatric vaccine market is expected to have significant share among the regions. This is primarily due to the well-established healthcare infrastructure especially in the United States and immunization programs. The scheduled children immunization programs under the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), high funding, wide commercial availability of vaccines, and the awareness in society regarding vaccines contribute to the sustained growth in the United States.
Considering the factors responsible for the large size of the US pediatric vaccine market, the country witnesses the highest percentage of children getting vaccinations. This is well described with the data provided by Centre of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which states that there are around 83.4% of the children who get vaccinated for Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis. Moreover, Polio, being one of the important vaccines, is given to almost 92% of the children across the country, whereas, MMR and Hepatitis B vaccines are received by 91.1% and 90.5% of the children, respectively. Other vaccines, like chickenpox, pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV), and Combined 7-vaccine series, are received by around 90% of the children.
The data provided above indicates that there is a high receiving rate for the pediatric vaccines in United States, which is contributing to the market growth.
The pediatric vaccines market consists of several major players including Merck & Co. Inc., Sanofi SA, Pfizer Inc, Sinova, and Pfizer among others. The companies are implementing certain strategic initiatives, such as mergers, new product launches, acquisitions, and partnerships, which help them in strengthening their market position.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support