The oseltamivir market is expected to register a CAGR of 3.2% during the forecast period. Oseltamivir is a neuraminidase inhibitor drug approved for the treatment and prophylaxis of influenza A and B. Oseltamivir acts by inhibiting the neuraminidase enzyme, which is expressed on the viral surface. The enzyme promotes the release of virus from infected cells and facilitates viral movement within the respiratory tract. Oseltamivir is licensed for the treatment of uncomplicated, acute influenza infection in patients who are older than 1 year of age infected for no more than 2 days, and the prophylaxis of influenza in persons aged 13 years and older.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the year 2018, estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9-45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually.
Increasing prevalence of influenza virus infections worldwide, rising awareness regarding influenza virus infections, and growing awareness programs organized by the government are the key driving factors in the oseltamivir market.
Key Market Trends
The Influenza A Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Oseltamivir Market
- Influenza A can be dangerous and is known to cause outbreaks and increase the risk of disease and mutates faster than influenza B. Both Influenza A and Influenza B viruses are always changing, creating new strains from one flu season to the next.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), seasonal influenza annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 2,90,000 to 6,50,000 respiratory deaths worldwide.
- Influenza A segment holds a significant market share in the oseltamivir market and is anticipated to show a similar trend over the forecast period due to a high prevalence rate.
- Increasing prevalence of influenza virus infections worldwide, availability of treatment options, and growing awareness programs organized by the government are the key driving factors in the Influenza A segment.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market during the Forecast Period
North America expected to hold a major market share in the global oseltamivir market due to the increasing prevalence of influenza infections high adoption rates of treatment. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), influenza B viruses are the most commonly reported among children and young adults age 0-4 years (58% of reported viruses), and 5-24 years (72% of reported viruses), while influenza A viruses are the most common among persons 25-64 years (50% of reported viruses), and 65 years of age and older (57% of reported viruses). Moreover, currently, 53% of influenza-positive specimens reported by public health laboratories were among individuals less than 25 years of age, and only 12% were from persons age 65 and older as number infected individuals and death with influenza viruses are increasing which shows a positive impact on the market. Furthermore, the rise in investment by government and healthcare companies on R&D activities and the presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure is also fueling the growth of the overall regional market to a large extent.
The oseltamivir market is fragmented competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the leading market players include F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Cipla Inc., Zydus Cadila, NATCO Pharma Limited, Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC, Alembic Pharmaceuticals Limited, Hetero Healthcare Limited, Lupin Limited, and Strides Pharma Science Limited.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support