The North America nuclear power plant equipment market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 12% in the forecast period of 2020 - 2025. The significant contribution of nuclear energy in reducing GHG emissions worldwide, while fulfilling the increasing energy demands of a growing world population and supporting global sustainable development is driving the market. Moreover, upcoming projects in the United States and Canada are expected to create significant demand for different nuclear power plant equipment in the coming years. On the other hand, premature decommissioning of several plants across the region is restraining the growth of the market in the forecast period.
- With a significant share of pressurized water reactors, they are expected to dominate the reactor segment in the forecast period.
- The World Nuclear Association has set a target of 25% of global electricity in 2050, which is expected to be provided by nuclear energy. This requires roughly 1000 GW of new nuclear capacity to be constructed, creating ample opportunities for market players.
- The United States is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period. With new projects, the demand for nuclear power plant equipment is expected to grow significantly.
Key Market Trends
Pressurized Water Reactors to Dominate the Market
- A typical design of a commercial PWR is such that the core inside the reactor vessel creates heat. The core of the reactor pressure vessel (RPV) contains nuclear fuel, moderator, control rods, and coolant that is cooled and moderated by high-pressure liquid water. PWR consists of a reactor vessel, steam generators, reactor coolant pumps, control roads, a pressurizer, and other elements.
- Canada’s Darlington and Bruce nuclear units in Ontario are undergoing a multi-year, multi-million-dollar refurbishment, which will allow the nuclear plants to operate well beyond mid-century. The Darlington refurbishment project is expected to be completed by 2026 and the Bruce project by 2033.
- The United States is dominating in terms of PW reactors. With 64 pressurized water reactors, generating more than 63 GW of electricity as of May 2020, PWRs are dominating the market.
- Nuclear energy held a significant share in electricity generation in North America. With 963.7 TWh of electricity in 2019, the share of nuclear power is expected to grow in the forecast period.
- With advantages like low operating costs and less fissile material in the core reactor, the pressurized water reactors are expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
The United States to Dominate the Market
- Despite a halt in the construction of new nuclear power plants for more than 30 years, the country’s reliance on nuclear power has grown. Average nuclear generation costs came down from USD 42/MWh in 2012 to USD 30/MWh in 2019.
- In March 2020, GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy signed a project for the United States' Department of Energy (DOE) to develop tools to transform the operations, while maintaining advanced nuclear reactors using Artificial Intelligence-enabled digital twins.
- The United States' Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), in 2017, approved 20-year license extensions for more than 75% of the fleet, enabling the operation to 60 years. Furthermore, the operators are planning to apply for a further 20-year extension in the lifecycle, allowing the total life cycle of a plant to be 80 years.
- As of 2019, the country has 95 operating nuclear power reactors with a combined capacity of 97.15 GWe, generating 809 TWh electricity, operated by 30 different power companies. Around 38 reactors with a combined capacity of 17.54 GWe were shut down, and there are two reactors under construction phase as of 2019.
- Factors, such as declining nuclear power generation costs, upcoming projects, coupled with supportive government initiatives and programs, such as Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, State initiatives, and zero-emission credits, are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
The North America nuclear power plant equipment market is moderately consolidated. Some of the major companies include AEM Technologies JSC, Framatome, Babcock & Wilcox Company, Doosan Corporation, GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support