The North America drill pipe market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 2% over the period of 2020 - 2025. Factors such as increased exploration activity and focus on the development of new oil and gas fields are expected to help drive the market for drill pipe. However, the volatile nature of oil prices in recent years led to decreased exploration activity, causing a slowdown for the drill pipe market.
- The onshore is expected to have a maximum share in the market. Onshore drilling encompasses all the drilling sites located on dry land and accounts for 70% of worldwide oil production. Onshore oil production has been on the rise in the region, mainly supported by the shale revolution in the United States.
- The rise in offshore exploration and production projects is expected to create an excellent opportunity for the market players, as all the easy oil is already found and wells moving towards offshore deeper and extreme environments.
- United States is the biggest market for drill pipe, owing to the increased drilling activity in shale plays in the region. The recent development of shale plays, horizontal drilling, and fracking has resulted in an increase in demand for drill pipe in the region.
Key Market Trends
Onshore to Dominate the Market
- The global market for drill pipe saw a growth slowdown owing to the volatile oil prices in recent years, but with the oil prices becoming stable, the market is expected to show a growth in the forecast period.
- Onshore oil production in the United States accounts for around 84% of the country’s oil production and 3% of the country’s natural gas production as of 2018. Increased onshore exploration activity in the forecasted period is expected to help grow the market for drill pipe.
- Almost all the easy oil has already discovered the wells now being drilled are deeper and more complex than before; this has led to a growth in the drill pipe market.
- The recent shale boom in the United States significantly added to the drill pipe market in the region. In 2019 oil production from shale accounted for around 63% of the country’s oil production.
- Therefore, with the increase in the demand for crude oil, oil & gas exploration is expected to rise, and in turn, the market is expected to grow for drill pipe in North America.
United States to Dominate the Market
- The United States has dominated the drill pipe market, in 2019, and is expected to continue its dominance in the coming years as well.
- The country has seen a major rise in oil & gas production in recent years. From a global share in oil production at 9% in 2010, the country became the largest oil producer in the world in 2018, with a share of 16.1% of global oil production. In 2019 the share of the country’s oil production increased to an all-time high of 17.9%.
- United States is a major market for drill pipe, owing to the recent shale gas exploration in the region in recent years. Exploration in the Gulf of Mexico is also on the rise, further complimenting the drill pipe market in the region.
- The number of producing wells increased from 729,000 in 2000 to 982,000 wells in 2018. During the same time, the number of producing horizontal wells increased from around 10,000 to 140,000.
- All of the above factors are likely to propel the demand for drill pipe in the country during the forecast period.
The North America drill pipe market is fragmented. Some of the key players being Hunting PLC, National-Oilwell Varco, Inc., Hilong Holding Ltd, Tenaris S.A., TMK Group among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support