The North America Automotive Glass Market is projected to grow with a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period.
- Car glass is an important constituent of any vehicle now any vehicle have an average of around five meter square of glass in it, many technological advancements have been done in automotive glassmaking to make modern vehicles smarter.
- The automotive industry is in the era of electric, connected, and autonomous vehicles. Automakers are adopting new types of glasses for their upcoming electric vehicles, For instance, Tesla's new glass technology automotive perforated insulated glass structure can control the temperature inside the car and capable of providing noise reduction.
- Smart glasses are the latest advancements in the automotive glass market where drivers can adjust the amount of light entering the car. Smart glass runs on suspended particle devices which is a light-control technology for its property of light-blocking. The scientific process behind the smart glass is nanoparticles first absorb the light suspended in a polymeric system which is then distributed throughout a film on the glass.
Key Market Trends
The Electric vehicles will provide the boost in the Market
The demand for the electric vehicle over the conventional vehicle has pushed vehicle manufacturers to equip the vehicles with new technologies that help them adapt to the changes. For instance, Tesla Model X one of the amazing features is the panoramic windshield. It is also the largest all-glass windshield in the market today with around 31 square feet of surface area. It provides uninhibited visibility, stretching out from overhead the driver and passenger, past the standard roofline.
Industry players are taking different approaches to the implementation of the latest technologies. Vehicle manufacturers are launching new models with the smart glass, and the number of display units. Also, major automakers are introducing the latest automotive glass and related technologies in their vehicle models.
For instance, in 2019, Tesla launched its futuristic electric pick-up truck named Cybertruck, which will hit the roads in 2021. The most interesting and talked about feature of this vehicle is its armored glass, which was smashed after being hit with a large steel ball bearing during launch.
The Windshield is projected to hold the major share in the Market
The present and future vehicles will be having smart windshield displays which will create a safer and convenient driving experience on roads. One of the dangers while driving in the present scenario is a distraction because smartphones are constantly taking the driver's eyes off the road. In the future, every vehicle will be containing some new windshield technology. They will better assist the driver by showing the required information. The market participants and vehicle manufacturers are enhancing and redefining their windshield technology, constantly working on new possibilities for more comfort, safety, and energy efficiency.
In 2018, Apple which is not the glass manufacturer has invested in the futuristic augmented reality windshield system. Along with that, it is also working with Volkswagen on autonomous vehicle technology.
In 2019, Vitro has announced an investment of USD 60 million in new technologies. This investment will strengthen the company’s market position in automotive glass in North America. The company supplies automotive glass to original equipment manufacturers and aftermarket customers also.
Similarly, in 2018, AGC Automotive launches first neutral glass named Pure Grey. This new technology provides excellent color rendering, different from green-tinted glass which affects the perception of colors from inside and outside of the vehicle.
The North America automotive glass market is moderately consolidated, with several global players accounting for significant amounts of shares in the market. Some of the prominent companies in the North America automotive glass market are, and. Companies are investing heavily in research and development for the innovation of new and advanced products and technologies that may be used in upcoming vehicles. For instance,
- In 2019, Gauzy an Israel based material science company, along with New York’s Research Frontiers announced opened a second production facility in Germany for manufacturing SPD-Smart light control film for automotive applications.
- In January 2020, BMW in CES 2020 introduced intelligent glass control in iNextits electric SUV, which is a reflective type of glass that can be activated both manually and automatically. Through various sensors, glass can pick up any specific position of the sun, through which only certain areas of the window will be adjusted to keep excessive heat and light away.
- In 2019, Continental announces the launch of intelligent glass control, through this technology the glass section can be dimmed at night or tinted in the daytime. Along with that windows behind the B-pillar can also be tinted for privacy in the rear seats on demand.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support