The global myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) treatment market is expected to grow significantly over the forecast period, owing to the increasing pipeline products and product approvals and R&D investments in the development of novel drugs for Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS). In 2018, Lupin had received approval for its Decitabine for injection, 50 mg/vial, Single-Dose Vial from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to market a generic version of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd's Dacogen for Injection, 50 mg/vial, single-dose vial. However, side effects associated with chemotherapy medications might hamper the growth of the market studied.
Key Market Trends
Stem Cell Transplant Segment Holds a Significant Share in the Market Studied
- Stem cell transplantation (SCT) offers a potentially beneficial therapy for the patients with myelodysplastic syndromes.
- There are two major types of SCT, one is allogeneic stem cell transplant and the other is an autologous stem cell transplant.
- For an allogeneic stem cell transplant, after the bone marrow is destroyed, the patient receives blood-forming stem cells from another person, the donor. This is the type of transplant typically used for MDS.
- In an autologous stem cell transplant, the patients get back their own stem cells (which were removed before treatment). This type of transplant is not typically used for patients with MDS because the patient's bone marrow contains abnormal stem cells.
North America dominates the Global Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Market
- North America dominates the global MDS treatment market owing to the increase in the prevalence of myelodysplastic syndrome, early adoption of novel treatments, high R&D investments on the development of the novel drugs, and the presence of sophisticated healthcare infrastructure.
- For instance, in December 2019, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Acceleron Pharma announced that the FDA Advisory Committee will review Reblozyl (luspatercept-aamt) for use in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to experience lucrative growth in the global myelodysplastic syndrome treatment market due to the developing healthcare infrastructure, rapidly improving economic conditions, and a promising regulatory environment for new treatment.
In the market studied, major players are focused on expanding their business in different areas by adopting various market strategies, such as partnerships, collaborations, acquisitions, and mergers. AbbVie, Accord Healthcare, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Celgene Corporation, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, and Novartis AG are the major market players.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support