The market for metal coatings is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 5 % during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied is Stringent VOC regulation is driving the demand for water borne DTM coatings.
- On the flip side, as the metal coatings are not suitable for the harsh operating environment, it is likely to hinder the market.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the globe with the largest consumption in a country such as India, China, etc.
Key Market Trends
Water-borne Segment to Dominate the Market
- Water-borne paints and coatings account for the major share in the overall paints and coatings market. The major reason for its gain over solvent-borne is its environment-friendly nature, as it is generally lower in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which degrade the environment. Additionally, other properties, such as low odor, more durability, and block resistance make water-borne paints preferable.
- The increasing environment-friendly nature and versatile properties of water-borne coatings are increasing their demand coatings across Europe.
- Water-borne coatings are majorly required in automotive paints. Hence, with the increase in automotive production in Europe, the demand for water-borne coatings is also expected to increase.
- The water-borne protective coatings market is driven by a number of factors, such as increasing consumer awareness about VOC emissions and tightening environmental regulations.
- REACH, a government initiative in Europe was adopted to protect human health and the environment from the risks that can be constituted by chemicals, while enhancing the competition in the European chemical industry. Promoting alternative methods for the hazard assessment of substances reduces tests on animals. This is increasing the demand for coatings with low VOC content, such as water-borne coatings.
- In recent times, there is a propensity to seek coatings with low odor, usability, and water clean-up characteristics among the end-users. Water-borne coatings meet these requirements and facilitate low viscosity, without the addition of low-molecular-weight monomers.
Germany to Dominate the Market
- In Europe, Germany has the dominating market with maximum share.
- The transportation sector witnessed growth.The approval of the EUR 10 billion projects, German Unity Transport Project 8 (VDE 8), by the German Federal Government, is expected to improve the transport connection between East and West, and between North and South Germany.
- It is also expected to close the gaps in the German high-speed rail network. Freight trains will also travel on the route.
- The line is likely to open various opportunities for implementing state-of-the-art transport concepts, the beginning of a new era of rail travel and an increase in paints and coatings market. Growing eco-consciousness among consumers, who are becoming aware of the detrimental environmental effects certain pack types have, has decreased the use of packaging coatings. However, manufacturers are working on various eye-catching designs and labeling that help create a premium image.
- Germany has the largest construction industry in Europe. According to industry experts, the demand for new houses is estimated to be around 350,000 per year until 2020, which is expected to boost the construction sector.
- The German construction sector has been growing slowly, mainly driven by the increasing new residential construction activities
- It is also expected that Germany would spend more on public infrastructure and there would be an increase in investments through public-private partnerships at the municipal level.
- Such factors are likely to increase the demand for the market over the forecast period.
The metal coatings market is semi consolidated. Some of the major players include AkzoNobel NV, Axalta Coating Systems, LLC, PPG Industries Inc., The Sherwin-Williams Company, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support