The market for the gas generator in India is expected to grow at CAGR of more than 4.5% in the forecast period of 2020 - 2025. Factors such as increasing awareness regarding natural gas as a clean and reliable fuel, increased concerns over diesel maintenance and refueling issues, decreasing natural gas fuel prices, and the general desire to be more environmentally responsible, have supplemented the demand for gas generators in recent years. However, the lack of gas grid connectivity via pipeline, resulting in hindered fuel supply, is expected to act as a challenging factor to overcome the gas generators market in the coming years.
- Below 75 kVA capacity generators are expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period, supported by the increase in demand from telecom, retail, and other commercial buildings and residential sectors.
- The commercial and industrial sectors of the emerging economies, the residential sector of developed economies, and the increasing need for power in defense operations are expected to create significant opportunities for market participants in the future.
- The industrial sector has accounted for the largest share of the revenue from the sale of gas generators in 2019, owing to the increasing demand for continuous and reliable power supply from the industrial sector.
Key Market Trends
Below 75 kVA Capacity Gas Generator to Witness Significant Growth
- Less than or equal to 75 kVA gas generators are used in the telecommunication sector, commercial complexes, small restaurants, small-scale industries, and petrol stations, among others, primarily as backup power in grid-connected areas and as the main power source in off-grid areas.
- The demand for less than or equal to 75 kVA gas generators is expected to increase, with the change in the landscape for small businesses, especially in the developing countries like India. As power failure is common in some parts of India, most of the households and shops prefer portable and affordable small generators.
- The building and construction market is on the rise in India due to current government initiatives, such as smart cities and green building initiatives, which are expected to create the demand for gas generators during the forecast period, and in turn, drive the market.
- With 26.9 billion cubic meters of gas production in 2019, the application of gas generators is expected to increase significantly in the forecast period.
- In 2020, The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is planned for converting diesel generators used by telecom towers to run on natural gas. The step is expected to raise the market of 75kVA gas generators in the future.
- With a reduction in the prices of natural gas and upcoming residential construction projects and governmental investments on small-scale manufacturing is witnessing robust growth.
Industrial Sector to Dominate the Market
- The industrial sector, which includes mining, manufacturing, agriculture, and construction, accounts for the largest share of energy consumption of any end-use sector and accounts for a major share in the gas generator market in India.
- In 2018, India generated 74.3 TWh of electricity using natural gas. In the forecast period, the share is likely to increase considerably, driving the demand for gas generators.
- In 2020, GAIL India Ltd is planning to invest over INR 45,000 crore over the next five years to expand the National Gas Pipeline Grid and city gas distribution network, which is likely to boost the demand for gas generators.
- Increasing demand for continuous and reliable power supply from these industries, especially from healthcare facilities, pharmaceutical industries, and manufacturing facilities, is expected to boost the demand for gas generators.
- India is expected to witness robust industrial growth in the coming years on account of the sharp increase in investments in manufacturing sectors, which is expected to drive the demand for gas generators in the industrial sector.
- Government initiatives to expand the industrial sector in India, are expected to boost the demand for gas generators over the forecast period.
The India gas generator market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major companies include Kohler Co, Kirloskar Electric Company Limited, Cummins Inc, Caterpillar Inc, and General Electric Company.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support