The major factors for the growth of the Indian enteral feeding devices market include the growing geriatric population, an increase in the premature birth rate, increasing adoption of enteral nutrition, and the high prevalence of chronic diseases.
The burden of chronic diseases is growing in India. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), every second person in India dies from non-communicable diseases. According to the World Health Survey data (2017), more than 20% of the Indian population smokes daily, which is a major contributor to the increasing prevalence and incidence of chronic diseases. India is among the top three countries with a high incidence of diabetes. In addition, sedentary lifestyles and obesity are the other factors responsible for the high prevalence of diabetes. Chronic patients, who are incapable of taking food, require a good supply of nutrition through enteral feeding, which augments the demand for enteral feeding devices. Therefore, the high prevalence of chronic diseases in India is projected to drive the growth of the market studied, over the forecast period.
In India, several hospitalized patients are malnourished, thus resulting in an increase in morbidity and mortality rates. Patients suffering from malnutrition require nutritional support to fasten their recovery. The enteral route is preferred for patients who cannot increase their oral intake, in order to meet their nutritional requirements. Enteral nutrition has fewer side effects and is cost-effective when compared to other modes of nutrition supply. The increasing incidence of chronic diseases, growing patient pool, and increasing aging population are leading to an increase in the adoption of enteral nutrition among the Indian population; thus, driving the growth of the market studied, over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Oncology is the Segment under Application that is Expected to Grow Fastest during the Forecast Period
- The major factor driving the growth of the oncology segment is the rising prevalence of cancer in India. Cancer treatment causes many complications and side effects in patients, including mucositis sores in the mouth, difficulty in chewing and swallowing solid food, altered saliva level, making it difficult to swallow.
- Cancer patients suffer from severe weight loss, as they cannot take proper food, resulting in a shortage of nutrition in the body.
- According to the estimates of Globocan 2018, there were likely to be 1,157,294 new cases of cancer in India. It has been observed that breast, lip, oral cavity, cervical, and lung cancers are the major types of cancers in India. Oral cancer is the most common type of cancer in men and breast cancer in women.
- Furthermore, as per the data published by the ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research), in 2016, India had 14 lakh cancer patients, and this number is expected to increase. Thus, the presence of a huge patient pool is likely to create tremendous opportunities for the market.
The Indian enteral feeding devices market is moderately competitive with a presence of global as well as local players. The global enterprises are competing with each other on various fronts, such as the introduction of new products, increasing geographical penetration, and enhancing distribution channels. The high competition is expected to drive the merger and acquisition activity, thereby, leading to market consolidation, in a few business segments.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support