The market for friction material is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 6% globally during the forecast period.
- The increasing number of vehicles and the growing need for friction material products for various industrial machinery are driving the market growth.
- High cost and maintenance of advanced friction materials are expected to hinder the market growth.
Key Market Trends
Automotive Industry Dominates the Market
- Friction materials have been increasingly used in both light and heavy-duty vehicles. In vehicles, friction materials find their applications in clutches, brakes, and gears, amongst others.
- Friction brakes are used to decelerate a vehicle by transforming the kinetic energy of the vehicle to heat, via friction, and dissipating that heat to the surroundings.
- Among all the materials used, sintered metal materials are well-suited for heavy-duty applications, such as aircraft braking systems and mining vehicle transporters.
- Ceramic material clutches can withstand considerable heat, and they can operate without fading at temperatures up to 550°C due to repeated engagement and disengagement of the clutch. This heat resistance property makes them ideal for racing applications and is also used in brake technology in various high-end automobiles.
- The demand for ceramic friction material in the manufacturing of clutch is significantly rising due to its properties in recent times. This is primarily due to the growing automotive demand and production prospects in Asia-Pacific and Africa regions during the past few years.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the global market owing to the vast industrial and automotive sectors in China and India, coupled with the continuous investments done in the region to advance the construction and automotive sector through the years.
- The growing demand for trucks, buses, trains, industrial machines, and robots in China and India increases the demand for friction materials in various applications.
- Friction materials regulate engine-power transmission in industrial and construction machinery and the brake and clutch parts.
- According to the Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d'Automobiles (OICA), China has been leading the global market in the production and sales of vehicles in recent years. This, along with the developments in automobile production in Japan and ASEAN countries, is driving the demand for friction materials for both electric and combustion vehicles in the Asia-Pacific region. China's share in global vehicle production is around 29%, in 2019.
- Friction materials are also used to control the moving parts of the robots, and increasing demand for high-temperature-resistant brakes is expected to drive the market for friction materials through the years to come in the region.
The global friction material market is partially consolidated in nature, with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Nisshinbo Holdings, Akebono Brake Industry, ITT Inc, Miba, and Valeo friction materials India private limited, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support