The Europe industrial battery market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 7.02% during the forecast period of 2020 – 2025. Declining lithium-ion battery prices, increasing demand from data centers and telecom sectors along with rising renewable energy integration are some of the major factors driving the market. However, factors, such as uncertainty in raw material prices and availability of raw materials, such as cobalt, lead, and lithium, are likely to curtail the market growth rate during the forecast period.
- Among the different types of industrial battery technologies, lithium-ion battery (LIB) is expected to be the fastest growing segment in the industrial battery market over the forecast period, owing to its major factors like better performance, high energy density, etc. when compared to other batteries.
- The rising focus on technologically advanced batteries and use of artificial intelligence in the R&D phase of battery manufacturing is likely to create a massive opportunity for the battery companies to invest and redirect their resources to make a breakthrough battery technology.
- Germany is expected to be the largest market during the forecast period, owing to the modest growth in the country’s manufacturing/industrial sector, which requires industrial batteries for its smooth functioning.
Key Market Trends
Lithium-ion Battery (LIB) Technology to Witness Significant Demand
- Lithium-ion battery (LIB) is expected to witness significant growth in the industrial battery market over the forecast period, majorly due to its favorable capacity-to-weight ratio. Other factors boosting the LIB adoption include its properties, like better performance, higher energy density, and decreasing price.
- The price of LIB is usually higher compared to other batteries. However, leading players in the market have been investing in R&D activities to improve LIB's performance and price, to gain economies of scale. The emergence of new and exciting markets, such as energy storage systems (ESS), for both commercial and residential applications, is driving the demand for LIB.
- Lithium-ion batteries are witnessing massive demand in the battery energy storage market, owing to their declining prices. Also, lithium-ion batteries are expected to hold the most significant share in the battery energy storage market soon, as they require little maintenance, are lightweight, and have a reliable cycle life, high energy density regarding volume, and high charge/discharge efficiency.
- In Dec 2019, Northvolt, the start-up aiming to manufacture lithium-ion batteries on a massive scale in Europe sustainably, has signed a contract to deliver its own first commercial energy storage system (ESS) project and revealed news on a second planned giga factory in Germany.
- Germany has been attracting investments from other countries across the world for the development of lithium-ion battery manufacturing facilities. For instance, in May 2019, a Chinese battery manufacturer, Farasis Energy, announced to invest USD 674 million for building a lithium-ion battery manufacturing plant in Germany, thus driving the demand for industrial battery market in Europe.
- Lithium-ion forklift batteries provide an extra edge to the material handling applications by reducing labor costs and improving productivity. Lithium-ion forklift batteries can be fast-charged in cold temperatures (even inside freezers), and they can maintain their capacity in cold temperatures better than their lead-acid counterparts. The increasing demand for fast delivery of products also has pushed for improvements in logistics and distribution, in emerging regions like North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific. This, in turn, is likely to boost the demand for industrial li-ion batteries in the material handling industry in the coming years.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, lithium-ion battery technology is expected to witness significant demand for industrial battery market during the forecast period.
Germany to Dominate the Market
- Over the previous years, Germany has shown a sustained and robust performance in the manufacturing sector in three crucial ways. The first is the considerably large role played by manufacturing in the overall economy, the second is job creation (the manufacturing industry has been continuously creating job opportunities), and the third is the industry’s contribution to global exports.
- The manufacturing sector is expected to drive the demand for industrial batteries to be used in forklifts, emergency lightning, and control systems (backup power).
- Germany is the largest economy in the European Union and has a relatively robust internet ecosystem. Further, the demand for industrial batteries is expected to benefit from the developments in the country's telecommunication sector. The total revenue of the telecommunications industry in Germany was estimated to be almost EUR 58 billion in 2019.
- The leading German telecommunication companies, based on revenue, are Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone Germany, Telefonica Germany, and E-plus. In addition to that, by the end of 2018, Germany had roughly 58,000 telecom towers (macro structures).
- In Germany, more than 80% of the companies are estimated to witness a high level of digitization along their value chain, by 2025. In addition, 20% of the companies already consider themselves to be highly digitized. Among the leaders in digitization is the automotive industry, which already has significantly higher levels of automation.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, Germany is expected to have a positive impact on the industrial battery market during the forecast period.
The Europe industrial battery market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major players includes Exide Industries Ltd, GS Yuasa Corporation, East Penn Manufacturing Company Inc., Panasonic Corporation, and Saft Groupe SA.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support