The market for ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) is expected to register a CAGR of more than 7%, during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the growing popularity as building materials in the roof covering of special constructions, like stadiums and rising demand for ETFE cables from the aerospace industry. However, rising environmental concerns and stringent EPA regulations are expected to hinder market growth.
- The granular product segment dominated the market. It is expected to grow during the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption in the manufacturing of machinery, automotive components, and electrical and electronic components.
- A shift in focus from conventional PV panels to ETFE PV panels in the photovoltaic (PV) industry is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- North America dominated the world market, with the largest consumption from the United States.
Key Market Trends
Coatings Segment to Contribute Significant Demand to the Market
- ETFE-based coatings are highly durable and weatherable, last for around 30 years, which is far longer than traditional paints or coatings (10 years for conventional paints) and can be cured at room temperature, which makes them ideal for outdoor and on-site applications.
- ETFE can handle a variety of temperatures and weather conditions, making it a popular choice for coatings in the automotive industry. It is typically used in brake systems and for brake-wear sensors.
- ETFE coatings have even been used to build the pneumatic panels on the exterior of the Beijing National Aquatics Center and other buildings, including the New Atlanta Stadium, and the US Bank Stadium in the United States, Eden Project and the National Space Centre in the United Kingdom, Hong Kong’s Green 18 in the Hong Kong Science Park, Allianz Arena in Germany, and the Forsyth Barr Stadium in New Zealand.
- ETFE is even ideal for any application that involves radiation resistance, and these abilities make it fit for common usage in the chemicals industry. Sometimes, it is used as a dual laminate and bonded to fiber-reinforced plastics (FRP) for use in tanks and pipes. It is also used for electrical applications and is commonly used to cover electrical wiring, especially for wires in spacecraft or aircraft.
- However, the growing various industries are providing potential opportunities for propelling the demand for the ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) market, in the coming years.
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America represented the largest regional market for ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE). This immense demand for ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) is a consequence of the growing trend of tensile architecture in the region.
- In North America, the United States provides the major market for ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE), with more than 75% of the regional market share.
- In the United States, ETFE is ideally suited for applications, such as oil and gas downhole cable and umbilicals, low permeation automotive fuel tubing, aerospace wire and cable, and photovoltaic top sheets films. ETFE is also widely used for the release films, in the manufacture of carbon fiber composites.
- ETFE is quickly gaining popularity in the United States and being used in some of the country’s most prominent projects. The most common applications in the country include two- and three-foil cushions. However, single-layer installations also exist, as well as high-performance systems with up to five foils. The US Bank Stadium is the largest ETFE installation and is the only stadium in the nation with a clear ETFE roof.
- There is an ongoing project with a total surface area of 345,500 sq ft. The passenger terminal’s curbside canopies represent the largest ETFE roof system in all of North America, at the world’s busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport).
- Many projects for federal and stadium projects, ranging from retail skylights to building envelopes, are under the pipeline.
- The growing various industries in countries, like the United States and Canada, further augmented the demand for ETFE coatings and sheets, which has created the demand for ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) market. The large market size, coupled with the huge growth of North America, is quite instrumental in the expansion of the ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) market.
The ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) market is consolidated and highly competitive. The major players include ASAHI GLASS CO. LTD, Ensinger, 3M (Dyneon GmbH), Daikin Industries Ltd, and The Chemours Company, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support