The dry-mix mortar additives and chemicals market is expected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period. The major factors driving the market studied are increasing construction activities in the United States and Asia-Pacific and long-term cost-effectiveness in the construction industry. On the flip side, unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the growth of the market.
- The re-dispersible polymer powder segment is expected to dominate the additives type in dry-mix mortar additives and chemicals market, over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific represents the largest market, and it is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Re-dispersible Polymer Powder Segment May Dominate the Market
- Re-dispersible powders are obtained by spray drying the corresponding aqueous polymer dispersions containing a redispersing agent, while simultaneously adding finely ground inorganic materials as anticaking agents. The re-dispersibility of the polymer powder is the most important parameter to achieve mortar performances, like adhesion onto the substrate and abrasion resistance.
- Re-dispersible polymer powder is the most important binder in cement- and gypsum-based dry powder material. Re-dispersible polymer powder is a spray-dried powder of polymer emulsion. It is re-emulsified with water and has the same properties as the original emulsion, i.e., a film can be formed after water evaporation. This film has high toughness, weather resistance, and adhesion to a substrate. In addition, the latex powder with hydrophobic properties can improve the waterproof performance of the waterproof mortar.
- Performance of re-dispersible polymer powder in a dry mortar:
- Improves the adhesion of dry mortar to various substrates and ensures the weather resistance of mortar bond strength under various conditions of use. For example, it can be used to improve the bond strength between mortar and EPS board, EPS particles, concrete walls, and brick walls in the thermal mortar.
- Reduces the elastic modulus of the materials and improves the elasticity and flexibility of the materials. The material can withstand certain substrate deformation, external force impact, temperature difference deformation, and freeze-thaw deformation. A re-dispersible polymer powder can significantly improve the dynamic anti-cracking of the putty and the heat aging resistance of the tile adhesive, as well as the impact resistance of the EPS board insulation system.
- Re-dispersible polymer powder can reduce the water absorption of the material, and the special hydrophobic latex powder effect is more obvious. It reduces water and damage caused by water to the molded mortar.
- Some re-dispersible polymer powders can improve sag resistance and fluidity of the mortar, in order to improve the construction performance of the mortar.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to account for the largest share of the overall dry-mix mortar additives and chemicals market, during the forecast period.
- China is among the global drivers in the consumption of dry mix products, owing to the huge infrastructure and residential growth taking place in the country. Currently, China represents the second-largest consumer, and it is the fastest-growing country in terms of consumption of dry mix mortar, worldwide.
- According to Mordor Intelligence analysis, the Chinese consumption of dry-mix mortar in 2019 was approximately 56 million metric ton, which grew from about 48 million metric ton in 2016. Similarly, India’s dry-mix mortar consumption for 2019 was expected to be more than 7 million metric ton, which grew from 6.25 million metric ton in 2016.
- Since the additives and chemicals are a significant addition to the dry-mix mortar, the growing consumption of dry-mix mortar additives and chemicals is expected to be in line with the increasing consumption of dry-mix mortar in China and India.
- Currently, India is experiencing a housing problem, as there is a shortage of more than six crore units of housing in the country.
- The demand for housing is increasing at a high pace, owing to the high population growth rates. Moreover, the country is urbanizing at a much higher growth rate than the world average. Thus, its cities are unable to cope with burgeoning population.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana, Gramin, “Housing for All” aims to build 30 million houses for the rural poor by 2022, with a total of 10 million units to be delivered by 2020.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the demand for dry-mix mortar additives and chemicals is expected to rapidly increase in Asia-Pacific, over the forecast period.
The dry-mix mortar additives and chemicals market is partially consolidated. The major companies of the market studied include Dow, Sika AG, BASF SE, Evonik Industries AG, and Mapei SpA.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support