The dehydrating breather market is expected to rise at a CAGR of more than 1.5% during 2020 - 2025. Factors such as strong focus on asset optimization by increasing transformers and other equipment’s efficiency and longevity, a requirement of a real-time moisture measurement mechanism, and an increase in energy demand are expected to drive the dehydrating breather market. However, the requirement to change the desiccants, which increases the overall cost, may restrain the market.
- The utility sector is expected to be the largest segment in the forecast period. The industry applies the largest number of transformers that require a dehydrating breather to increase their efficiency and reduce the energy loss. An increase in the installed power generation capacity around the globe, in the utility sector, is expected to increase the requirement of transformers and thereby the need for dehydrating breathers.
- New types of desiccants are being researched and developed, with the modeling of the equipment becoming more suitable for severe temperatures. Advancement in the industry is expected to act as an opportunity for the market players.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to be the largest market in the forecast period due to its large utility sector and increasing demand for energy. China and India are expected to be the largest users of the dehydrating breathers in the region.
Key Market Trends
Utility Segment to Dominate the Market
- Proper maintenance of a power transformer's insulation system plays a crucial role in helping ensure the transformer operates at an optimum level throughout its life, and transformer oil is a critical component of that insulation system. To the greatest extent possible, transformer oil must be protected from impurities that lower its ability to function as designed. Dehydrating breather provides for the function by reducing the contaminants in the feeder air.
- The dehydrating breathers are manufactured in various sizes, primarily for use in oil-insulated transformers where they prevent moisture in the air from coming in contact with the transformer oil and thus lowering insulation properties required for the transformer, thereby profiting the users especially large transformers that may be used in the utility sector.
- An increase in renewable energy in the market has created an additional requirement of step-up and step-down transformers, primarily due to a degree of unpredictability of the energy generation from sources such as wind and solar. The increase in transformers is expected to aid the growth of the dehydrating breather market in the utility sector.
- Primary energy consumption in the world increased by 1.3% to 583.9 exajoules (EJ), in 2019 from 576.23 exajoules (EJ), in 2018. The energy consumption is expected to increase further in the forecast period and may drive the utility sector in the dehydrating breather market.
- In 2019, Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen GmbH launched a new generation of dehydrating breathers named MTRAB 2.5. Its functionality is designed to help customers reduce the life-cycle costs of their equipment and overcome the challenges of steadily increasing requirements – ever-longer operating times, coupled with continually increasing current densities. Advancements in the industry are expected to aid the growth of the market.
- Hence, utility segment is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period due to the increase in the energy consumption and advancements being made in the equipment.
Asia Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region consists of the largest installed capacity generation of energy in the world. To reduce the overall maintenance of the power generation sector, dehydrating breathers in the transformers may be used in the industry.
- Different types of dehydrating breathers like the self-regenerating single column dehydrating breather are being used as a more advanced solution that has more upfront expense but eliminates the need for frequent monitoring and replacement of the silica gel. In the Asia-Pacific region, the technology is gaining further acceptance and may increase in the forecast period.
- There has been a rise in investments in gas-insulated and air-insulated substations in the Asia-Pacific region, which is expected to boost the demand for transformers in the region, which may, in turn, aid the growth of dehydrating breather industry, in the forecast period.
- Primary energy consumption in the Asia-Pacific region increased by 3.3% to 257.56 exajoules (EJ), in 2019 from 249.35 exajoules (EJ), in 2018. The energy consumption is expected to increase further in the forecast period and may drive the dehydrating breather market.
- Hence, Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the dehydrating breather market due to the increase in the investments in the dehydrating breathers related to industries and rising primary energy consumption in the region.
The dehydrating breather market is partially fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include ABB Ltd., AGM Container Controls Inc., Des-Case Corporation, Qualitrol Corporation, and Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen GmbH.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support