The cutter staplers market is anticipated to witness a CAGR of nearly 8.8% during the forecast period.
- Growing preference for cutter staples over surgical suture and blades has been one of the primary growth stimulants for the market. With technological advancements, several market players are commercializing cutter staplers used for endoscopic surgeries. These devices find applications across various branches of medicine, such as abdominal, thoracic, gynecology, and orthopedic-related surgeries, as well as tissue and wound management procedures.
- The demand for surgical cutter stapling devices is poised to increase, owing to the implementation of advanced technologies to perform endoscopic procedures and rise in bariatric procedures.
- In addition, the introduction of curved cutter staplers and soaring need for tissue and wound management is likely to further drive the market.
- An increase in the geriatric population base also contribute to the rising horizon for surgeries as chronic diseases are found to be more prevalent in the geriatric population. With an upsurge in lifestyle disorders, the market is anticipated to register significant growth in near future.
- Introduction of cutter staplers has gradually outpaced the suture and blade market due to several advantages. Apart from being a tedious process, sutured site may exhibit wound leakage and tissue slippage, whereas surgical cutter staplers offer better speed, accuracy, and efficient wound transection and closure simultaneously. With increasing technological advancements, several market players are commercializing cutter staplers used for endoscopic and open surgeries.
- However, stringent safety regulations for stapler may hamper business growth in the future.
Key Market Trends
Obstetrics and Gynecology Segment is Expected to Showcase Significant Growth Over the Forecast Period
Obstetrics and gynecology dominated the market of cutter stapler in 2019 due to the rising number of childbirths throughout the world. In 2018, CDC estimated that 1,208,176 cesarean deliveries were conducted in the United States. In addition, a high prevalence of female reproductive organ disorders, such as cervical cancer, uterine cancer, and polycystic ovary syndrome, has given rise to more number of gynecologic surgeries.
Soaring volume of surgical procedures, such as ablation, laparoscopy, endoscopy, and female sterilization, coupled with the growing usage of single-use products, is expected to bolster the demand for these products. Minimally invasive gynecologic surgeries also lead to less postoperative pain, resulting in shorter hospital stays. Frequent introduction of technically advanced products is likely to spur the growth of the market over the forecast period.
The North America Dominates the Market and is Expected to Continue the Same during the Forecast Period
North America holds the largest share in the market, owing to the use of advanced technologies and non-invasive methods in increasing the number of total surgeries performed. Other reasons for sizeable market share are the presence of global players, the highest obesity rate in this region, and FDA approval for non-invasive surgeries. With recent developments in minimally invasive surgeries, special devices are designed for laparoscopic and thoracoscopic surgeries, which include the use of surgical cutter stapling devices.
Asia-Pacific is likely to exhibit the highest CAGR during the forecast period due to the presence of a large patient pool in economies such as India, China, and Japan. Surgical staplers are categorized under “drugs” and were regulated under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act in India because of increasing demand and use. Implementation of this act rendered strict regulations for the manufacturing and distribution of surgical staplers.
With increasing conduct of surgical procedures, coupled with rising healthcare expenditure, and rising awareness regarding the use of them, the demand for stapling is expected to witness lucrative growth. Key players in the market are also investing in this region to expand their footprints. Initiatives, such as those taken by Johnson & Johnson Medical trained 125,000 doctors in advanced surgical products, including non-invasive surgical staples, are estimated to boost the market in the region.
The market is moderately competitive in nature. Various companies are striving to gain market share by adopting competitive strategies, such as joint ventures and research partnerships. Some key players operating in the market include Infiniti Medical, Johnson & Johnson, Locamed, Medtronic, and Reach Surgical.
The players are constantly involved in strategic initiatives, such as new product launch, technological advancements, regional expansion and mergers, and acquisitions, in order to gain deeper penetration. For instance, in December 2020, Johnson & Johnson announces an agreement to acquire the remaining stake in Verb Surgical Inc. to transform surgery potential. Combining groundbreaking robotics, enhanced visualization, advanced instrumentation, machine learning, data analytics, and powerful end-to-end connectivity, Johnson & Johnson continues to strengthen its digital surgery portfolio.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support