The global cigarette market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.6% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- Changing lifestyle, continuous product innovation in terms of flavor, size, ingredients, and nicotine level, and consumer belief that smoking reduces stress and anxiety are some of the major factors propelling the growth of the market studied
- Over the past few years, there has been rising awareness regarding health hazards associated with smoking, which restrains the growth of the market studied. Moreover, the availability of various smoking alternatives in the market, including e-cigarettes, which have lesser harmful effects, also confines the growth of the market studied.
- In recent years, manufacturers found it profitable to market flavored tobacco products, such as cigars, cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, and related products, which gives them an edge over their competitors.
- Furthermore, the factors, such as consumer knowledge and increase in awareness of products and services, through digital media and other sources, coupled with the advent of social media, are educating the consumers about the benefits of organics products. This, in turn, is driving the demand for organic and herbal cigarettes. Moreover, companies' offerings these products are increasing their investments in R&D, as well as marketing and expanding their distribution channels, to maintain their position in the market.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Preference For Flavored Tobacco
The rising number of female smokers, the strong distribution network of cigarette manufacturers, and the popularity of flavored cigarettes are supporting the market growth. Flavored tobacco products are gaining significant momentum and have become much more prevalent in the last few years across the world. These products are flavored smokeless tobacco, e-cigarettes, little cigars and cigarillos, large cigars hookah, and dissolvable, in addition to menthol cigarettes. They are sold in a variety of flavors range from confectionery flavors to alcoholic beverages to herbs and spices. According to a survey conducted by the CDC (National Youth Tobacco Surveys) in 2018, nearly 3.2 million middle and high school students in the United States were found to use flavored tobacco products.
China Holds a Significant Share In The Market
China is the world’s largest producer and consumer of tobacco, with over 300 million smokers. Over half of Chinese men smoke, consuming over 40% of the world’s cigarettes. The Chinese tobacco market is dominated by the China National Tobacco Corporation (CNTC), a state-owned enterprise (SOE) that is responsible for almost more than 90% percent of all cigarettes sold in China. The CNTC owns numerous brands, from large ones such as Hong Shuangxi, Yun Yan, and Zhongnanhai, to smaller regional brands and derivatives. Foreign companies can manufacture and sell their tobacco products, only through a joint venture with the CTNC. For example, Marlboro, one of the world’s largest tobacco brands, started the manufacturing process in China in 2008, after agreeing with the CNTC to promote Chinese brands overseas. Top publicly traded tobacco companies, including Philip Morris International (PMI), British American Tobacco (BAT), Japan Tobacco International (JTI), and Imperial Tobacco, are aggressively seeking to increase their market share in the Chinese market. Additionally, the increasing number of organized retail outlets makes tobacco products easily accessible and available to consumers. This is one of the primary factors that is actively driving the growth of the tobacco market across the country.
The market is dominated by players, like British American Tobacco PLC, China National Tobacco Corporation, Philip Morris Products SA, and Japan Tobacco International SA. The leading players in the market studied enjoy a dominant presence worldwide. These players focus on leveraging opportunities posed by the emerging markets to expand their product portfolio, in order to cater to the requirements for various product segments, especially e-cigarettes. Owing to this factor, the key players are embarking on mergers and acquisitions as one of their key strategies to achieve consolidation and optimize their offerings. For instance, in February 2018, Imperial Brands acquired the Austrian vaping manufacturer, Von Erl. The acquisition is part of Imperial’s “next-generation products” strategy, which includes electronic vapor, as well as heated tobacco devices.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support