The automotive power module packaging market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 7.5%, over the forecast period (2020 - 2025). The demand for sustainable energy is increasing with people exploiting sustainable and clean energy to mitigate the global crisis of fossil energy. The automotive module has seen a steep growth with efforts to popularize hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) and electric vehicle (EV), thus driving the automotive power module packaging market.
- A number of environmental, economic and social factors are influencing future vehicle designs and powertrain choices. Power semiconductors are the key components in the powertrain systems of electric vehicles (EVs), hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) and plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs). As the number of electric and electrified vehicles (HEV and PHEV) increases, demand for sophisticated power electronics solutions reducing electrical losses, system weight and total cost of ownership will increase.
- For instance, in January 2018, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation announced that it has developed a 6.5 kV full silicon carbide (SiC) power semiconductor module that is believed to offer the highest power density among other power semiconductors modules rated from 1.7 kV to 6.5 kV. It is expected that the module to lead to smaller and more energy-efficient power equipment for high-voltage railcars and electric power systems.
- Moreover, growing focus by consumers and OEMs on minimizing power losses, increasing power density, and maximizing power savings are driving the growth of this market.
- A lack of standard protocols for the development of power modules and the rising complexity in the design and packaging results in the rise of the overall cost of the vehicle, which is considered as the key restraining factor for the growth of this market.
Scope of the Report
Packaging of automotive power modules needs to meet high-reliability standards like harsh operating environment (which includes high ambient temperature range, high operating temperature, temperature excursion, and thermal shock), mechanical vibration and shock, and frequent power surging. To ensure reliable operation of the power module, packaging of the power modules has been intensively modified in terms of packaging materials and processing as well as in terms of reliability design. The Electric Vehicle and Hybrid Electric Vehicle (EV/HEV) industry’s demand for high power density and mechatronics integration is the main driver for automotive power module packaging market.
Key Market Trends
Electric Vehicle and Hybrid Electric Vehicle to Drive the Automotive Power Module Packaging
- Over the past decade, electric vehicle technologies have gained significant progress due to the added advancement in electric motor drives, power converters, on-board batteries and systems integration.
- Advanced electric drive vehicles such as hybrid-electric vehicles (HEVs), plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), range-extended electric vehicle (REEV) and pure electric vehicles (EVs) employed advanced power electronics devices to control the flow of electrical energy from the on-board battery to the traction motors and other accessories.
- In advanced power electronics systems, apart from control topology and components, packaging plays an important role to improve the overall efficiency and reliability.
- Initially, the automotive power module packaging followed the standard of industrial drive module packaging, using the well-established wire bond technology. Such a basic packaging structure has gone through significant improvements in the pursuit of better electrical and thermal performance, reliability and cost-effectiveness.
- Need for improving the present practice of packaging in power electronics modules is amplified due to the stringent requirements of electric vehicles. The pursuit for higher current density is expected to be continued, and it brings along with it a need for continued improvement of cooling. Advancement in power electronic packaging is essential to support these needs.
- As the demand for Electric Vehicle will increase, the requirement of power module packaging will also increase to support the high power density and mechatronics integration.
Asia-Pacific is Expected to Register Highest Growith Rate
- The Asia-Pacific region is estimated to hold the largest market share during the forecast period owing to growing automotive infrastructure and increases in sales of electric vehicles across the region.
- Increasing uses of electrification in vehicles is expected to boost the demand for automotive power module packaging market in this region.
- Furthermore, increasing investment by public and private players to develop automotive power modules such as power inverter, integrated dual charger, among others and the rise in demand for safety features in vehicles across the region are contributing in the growth of this market in this region.
- Moreover, the governments of countries, like China and India, where the pollution is rampant, are taking actions to reduce the pollution issue, thereby resulting in the rise in sales of the alternative fuel engines and green vehicles, such as the electric vehicle, hybrid electric vehicle, among others.
The automotive power module packaging market is very competitive in nature. The market is highly consolidated due to the presence of large players. The major players in the market are Amkor Technology, Kulicke & Soffa, PTI Technology Inc., Infineon Technologies, STMicroelectronics, Fuji Electric Co. Ltd., Toshiba Electronic Device & Storage Corporation, among others.
- September 2019 - STMicroelectronics planned to supply advanced silicon-carbide power electronics to Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi for high-speed battery charging in Next-Generation Electric Vehicles.
- May 2019 - New Infineon HybridPACK power modules enable fast and flexible electrification of vehicles to support the automotive industry in building up a broad and cost-competitive portfolio of hybrid and electric vehicles. Furthermore, Infineon introduces the HybridPACK Double-Sided Cooling (DSC) S2, a technology upgrade to the existing HybridPACK DSC. This module targets main inverters up to 80 kW in hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with high power density requirements.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support