The Automotive Hub Motors Market is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 5.5% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- The penetration of electric vehicles is witnessing strong growth, especially in Europe. Subsequently, the demand for hub motor would continue expanding over the forecast period.
- Several significant automotive manufacturers showed interest in entering into electric vehicles segments considering its huge potential.Therefore, the automotive hub motor market can capitalize on this growth of the electric vehicles.
- The market is significantly driven by the consistently rising penetration of electric bicycles across the different developed and developing countries such as China, Germany, Japan, Belgium, Norway, France, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand for Hub Motors from E-bike Segment
With the growing concern for preserving and sustaining it for the future generations, especially because of the increasing scarcity of the natural resources and environmental concerns, protecting the environment poses a great challenge on both the society and governments worldwide. As a result, the rising demand for e-bikes is proving to be an ideal solution to the challenge.
The main benefit of using a hub motor in e-bikes is that it requires less maintenance; this is due to the fact that all the parts are located inside the motor casing and this motor is entirely independent. This helps in less or sometimes zero maintenance. Upon using the geared hub motor for longer cycles, there is a probability for the tooth to worn out and break off. Also, the reinforced nylon gears may eventually strip.
However, on the other hand, the gearless hub motor has no significant losses as there are no moving parts except for bearings. Apart from the benefits, e-bike is noiseless, generates no carbon emissions, offers low-cost mode of transportation, saves space, and ensures good health. Thus, owing to the aforementioned advantages, e-bikes are expected to become the future mode of transportation for short distances (like 20-25 km). This factor, in turn, is reducing the usage of these vehicles.
Asia-Pacific to Witness Significant Share
Asia-Pacific is leading the hub motors market. The automotive hub motors market in this region is primarily driven by the demand from countries such as China, Japan and some of the Southeast Asia countries. These countries have strong penetration of electric two-wheelers, making them the most prominent markets for the related components.
China has contributed to more than 50% of the Asia-Pacific hub motors market, owing to its high consumption of electric bikes, in order to tackle heavy traffic conditions as well as growing vehicle pollution in the country. During the forecast period, the consumptions of e-bikes are likely to continue to grow, due to the decreasing purchase cost of e-bikes in the Chinese market.
In addition, China is one of the largest producers of electric two-wheelers and the related components. This makes the country one of the largest markets for hub motors. In addition, rising imports and exports of electric vehicles due to rise in pollution and to find alternative to gasoline vehicles that emit huge pollutants in the atmosphere is another factor responsible for the growth of this market in this region.
Japan also has a considerably high adoption of electric mobility. The country is a pioneer in the field of electric and hybrid vehicles, with companies, like Toyota and Nissan, being active in this field. This transition toward electric vehicles is another factor driving the growth of hub motors in the country.
Asia Pacific is estimated to have prominent growth in the global market due to rush in adoption of electric vehicles in emerging economies of this region.
The Automotive Hub Motors Market is dominated by several players such as Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG, Taizhou Quanshun Electric Drive Technology Co., Ltd. (QS Motor), Heinzmann GmbH & Co. KG, Michelin. These companies are expanding their business by new innovative products, so that they can have edge over their competitors.
- In April 2018, Japan-based NTN, a leading global supplier of hub bearings and driveshafts, has started supplying in-wheel motor technology to EV startup Changchun Fawsn Auto Tech (FSAT).
- In March 2018, General Motors has developed a fully integrated electric direct (hub) motor, using patented modular multiphase technology. This solution is leading the future of e-mobility technology trend towards a compact and completely integrated electric drive that is close to the wheel.
- In July 2019, Alliance Ventures invested in the mobility house of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation to boost their electric mobility.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support