The market for aggregates is expected to register a CAGR of over 6%, globally, during the forecast period. The major factors driving the market studied are the increasing demand in the construction of buildings. The development of smart aggregates is likely to act as an opportunity for the market to grow.
- The aggregates market is expected to grow during the forecast period, owing to the increasing demand from construction applications.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominates the global market, with the largest consumption being registered in China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand from Construction Applications
- Aggregate is a broad category of coarse to medium grained particulate material used in construction activities, which includes sand, gravel, crushed stone, slag, recycled concrete, and geosynthetic aggregates. Aggregates are the most mined materials in the world.
- These aggregate materials are mixed with cement, bitumen, lime, gypsum, or other adhesives to form concrete or mortar that forms a major part of building blocks.
- In 2017, the Indian government announced an investment worth USD 31,650 billion for the construction of 100 cities, under the smart cities plan. 100 smart cities and 500 cities are likely to invite investments worth INR 2 trillion (~USD 28.18 billion), over the coming five years creating a major market for aggregates.
- The total real-estate investment in China rose by about 11.6% in the first two months of 2019, Y-o-Y, as compared to the same time period in 2018. This growth was up from the 9.5% growth, which was reported for the 2018 whole year (National Bureau of Statistics (NBS)). This growth marks the strongest growth for the January-February period since 2014, when investment rose by 19.3% increasing the scope for this market.
- Hence, with the growing construction activities, the demand for aggregates is expectedto rapidly increase over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market for aggregates during the forecast period. With growing construction activities in countries such as China, India, and Japan, the consumption of aggregates is increasing in the region
- The largest producers of aggregates are located in the Asia-Pacific region. Some of the leading companies in the production of aggregates are China Resources Cement Holdings Limited, EUROCEMENT group, Cement Industries of Malaysia Berhad (CIMA), LafargeHolcim.
- In March 2019, National Highway projects worth INR 1,10,154 crore were inaugurated in India increasing the scope for this market.
- Nearly, 9% of India’s GDP is spent on infrastructural services. The government of India has given an enormous momentum to the infrastructural sector, by allocating INR 5.97 lakh crore (~USD 92.22 billion), under the Union Budget 2018-2019 creating a major market for aggregates in the coming years.
- The Chinese government has rolled out massive construction plans, including making provisions for the movement of 250 million people to its new megacities, over the next ten years creating a major scope for construction activity thereby increasing the market for aggregates over the coming years.
- The aforementioned factors coupled with government support are contributing to the increasing demand for aggregates market during the forecast period.
The global aggregates market is partially fragmented in nature, with the players occupying marginal shares in the industry. Some of the major companies are China Resources Cement Holdings Limited, EUROCEMENT Group, Vulcan Materials Company, Cement Industries of Malaysia Berhad (CIMA), and LafargeHolcim.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support