The trinitrotoluene (TNT) market is expected to record a CAGR of over 3% during the forecast period. One of the main factors driving the market is the increasing defense activities by various governments in the world. However, the focus on alternative products is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
Increasing the use of explosives in the fracturing of shale formations for the extraction of oil and gas is likely to act as an opportunity for the market studied in the coming years.
By application, the rising demand for explosives with increasing defense activities by various governments are expected to drive further growth during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world with the largest consumption from countries, such as China and India.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Defense Activities by Various Governments
- TNT is relatively insensitive to shock and cannot be exploded without a detonator, which makes it a widely used explosive chemical around the world by various industries, such as military, mining, and construction.
- Increased spending on defense activities by global government bodies and the growing arms and ammunition sector are likely to spur the explosives and pyrotechnics industry. Countries such as India, the United States, and China have also increased their overall spending on arms and ammunition to strengthen their armed forces. In addition, technological advancements and the necessity of smart weapons may subsequently propel explosives and pyrotechnics market growth.
- The need for safer explosives to replace high energetic explosives and propellants to meet safety needs is prompting the manufacturers of military and defense equipment to employ 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene on a large scale.
- The defense industry is likely to witness an increase in the usage of TNT during the forecast period due to the increase in national security and rise in terror-related activities.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the application of TNT as explosives in defense activities is likely to dominate during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market for TNT during the forecast period. The rising demand for TNT explosives in defense activities in countries like China, India, and Japan is expected to drive the demand for TNT in this region.
- The largest producers of TNT are based in the Asia-Pacific region. Some of the leading companies in the production of TNT are China Gezhouba (Group) Corporation, Orica Limited, MAXAMCORP HOLDING, Dyno Nobel, and Enaex.
- Increasing investments by countries in the Asia-Pacific region, like India and China, for the national security to combat growing terror-related activities are likely to provide better opportunities in the near future.
- In addition to the consumption of TNT as explosives in defense activities, a significant volume of explosives is also consumed by the mining industry, construction industry, and miscellaneous applications.
- World consumption of TNT as explosives by the metal mining industry is projected to increase during the forecast period, as metallic minerals are generally low-grade ores found only in geologically favorable areas of the world.
- Consumption of explosives in quarrying materials is forecast to increase in various Asia-Pacific countries, like China and India, as production of stone and cement from quarrying operations and construction accounts for an additional mining market for explosives.
- Owing to the above-mentioned factors, the market for TNT in the Asia-Pacific region is projected to grow moderately during the study period.
The trinitrotoluene (TNT) market is consolidated in nature with only a few major players dominating the market. Some of the major companies are Orica Limited, MAXAMCORP HOLDING, Dyno Nobel, and Enaex.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support