The South American lipid market is projected to witness a CAGR of 3.2% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
· The market is primarily driven by the rising awareness regarding the nutritional and functional importance of lipids, and the rising demand for lipid nutrition in fortified food, pharmaceuticals, infant formula, animal nutrition, and dietary supplements.
· By product type, the omega 3 and omega 6 segment is the dominating market, owing to the advancement in technologies, such as microencapsulation to serve pharmaceuticals and other industries that have led to the increase in the demand for capsules, oils, and functional foods containing omega-3 acids.
· However, chronic diseases associated with lipids, such as heart diseases, diabetes, and cancers, and lipid oxidation and degradation lead to loss of functional properties, nutritional value, and formation of toxic substances, diminishing the shelf life and organoleptic properties of food products. These are the major restraints impeding the growth of the market studied.
Key Market Trends
The Increasing Demand for Lipids in the Food and Beverage Industry
The food and beverage industry is one of the largest application areas of the lipid market. In this industry, the infant formula segment is one of the fastest-growing segments in the packaged food category, mainly due to the developments of omega-3 market in the South American countries. Most of the companies produce baby foods and supplements, such as DHA/ALA from algal sources. As a class, lipids contribute many desirable qualities to foods, including attributes of texture, structure, mouthfeel, flavor, and color. For instance, these are responsible for much of the desirable flavors of vegetables, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, and peas and many deep-fat fried foods, such as French-fried potatoes and fried chicken.
Argentina to Witness Significant Growth during Forecast Period
Argentina has been witnessed urbanization and changing lifestyles, due to globalization. This, in turn, is driving the demand for convenience and packaged foods, and thus, fueling the lipid market’s growth. Argentine consumers are increasingly demanding health and wellness packaged foods, despite the economic crisis. This trend is expected to benefit the lipid-based nutritional supplement segment of the lipid market in the country. In addition, increasing disposable incomes and changing lifestyles in emerging countries are driving the demand for processed foods. Growing food safety concerns in the Argentine food markets are pressurizing manufacturers to adopt clean labels, along with the incorporation of health-based ingredients, including PUFA and MUFA.
The South American lipid market is fragmented, owing to the presence of many regional and domestic players. There is rising emphasis on mergers, expansions, acquisitions, and partnership of companies, along with new product developments, primarily as strategic approaches adopted by the leading companies to boost their brand presence among consumers. Key players dominating the market include BASF SE, Croda International Plc, Cargill, Incorporated, ADM, and Clover Corporation Limited, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support