The shrink and stretch sleeve labels market was valued at USD 10.37 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 15.55 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 6.52% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. In the last couple of decades, the labeling and packaging industry has experienced extensive product innovation. Sleeve label is one of those innovative products that has continually gained traction in the packaging landscape. Sleeve labels are colorful wraparounds around containers creating a greater aesthetic appeal.
- These are basically of two types -- Shrink Sleeve Labels and Stretch Sleeve Labels. Shrink Sleeve Labels Market are extremely popular in the market and has been readily accepted by the packaging industry. Shrink Sleeve Labels Market easily adapt to the shape of the container giving it higher product visibility and consumer appeal.
- Stretch sleeve labeling is ready-to-use and can easily conform to containers of different shapes. In addition to the characteristics of providing a greater aesthetic appeal, it is eco-friendly. Stretch labels come with zero adhesiveness or heat and rely only on their elasticity to hold the shape of the container. As compared to the standard shrink sleeve technology, stretch Sleeve Labels are more cost-effective, and this is expected to impact its demand in the future positively.
- The downside to stretch sleeve labeling is that the application rate is much slower as compared to shrink sleeve labeling, typically less than 150 containers per minute. Shrink sleeve labels are an ideal fit for container package labeling, where the product is generally packed at higher throughput rates of up to 800 containers per minute.
- Manufacturers in the process of prioritizing consumer expectations and constructing better end-user engagement are focusing on the advanced labeling of their products to maintain a competitive advantage. For instance, recently, Overnight Labels. Inc., a well-known label manufacturing company, introduced a range of craft beer labels comprising of shrink sleeves offering enhanced substrates, varnish, and graphics.
Scope of the Report
Stretch and shrink sleeve labels are polyester or plastic labels that can wrap the entire perimeter of a product and conform to the unique geometry of any package. Stretch labels are made of LDPE and are highly elastic and hence can be pulled over the product container. Shrink sleeves are applied in loose form and conform to the product when exposed to heat by channeling the product through a heat tunnel.
Key Market Trends
Demand to Increase On-Shelf Appeal of Various Products is Expected to Drive Growth
- Sleeve labels have the advantage over conventional label types in making a product stand out to consumers. Stretch and shrink sleeve labels have enhanced the versatility of conveying brand and safety messaging for packaging designers and brand owners. A sleeve label is applied to a package in multiple ways, from covering just the shoulders or the cap of a container to full-body, 360-degree coverage.
- Extra coverage provided by full-body shrink sleeves ensures space for colorful and eye-catching designs. Full-body sleeves equip product and brand owners with more space to communicate with both current and prospective customers. With tight labeling regulations for both food and pharmaceutical products in place or on the way, having extra space to conform to regulatory standards while maintaining a product’s ability to reach out to consumers is expected to heighten the importance of sleeve labels over time.
- Further, Shrink Sleeves provide better flexibility to manufacturers to use their shape to enhance marketing appeal. For instance, a twisted shape bottle may be named ‘Twister,’ or orange can be molded in the neck for orange juice. All this can be done while shrink sleeves allow the flexibility for the graphics to enhance bottle design for whatever the purpose the brand is trying to accomplish.
- They allow product-makers to utilize a single colorless container and differentiate products and lines with their labels. The movement to single-serve, smaller doses, and smaller containers is expected to drive the use of shrink sleeve as convenient as a way to get more content across on smaller surface areas.
Asia Pacific is Expected to be the Fastest Growing Market
- The Asia-Pacific region has emerged as a major shrink sleeve & stretch sleeve labels market, primarily driven by the emerging economies of India and China.
- The major driving forces in the Asia-Pacific region includes rising urbanized population, increasing demand for packaged food, easy availability of polymer films, and relatively low labor cast.
- A price sensitive market like South-East Asia is expected to be a major growth area for the use of shrink and stretch sleeves that are cost-effective solutions for decorating containers with highly complex shapes.
The Competitive Landscape for the Shrink and Stretch Sleeve Labels Market is highly fragmented with the presence of a number of small and medium sized players across geographies. The heightened need for customization leads to the proliferation of smaller players that can cater to the customization needs of a handful of consumers. Some of the recent developments of the market are as follows: -
- April 2019 - Eastman has launched two APR-approved recyclable shrink-sleeve label resins. Both Embrace Encore and Embrace Float have received the Critical Guidance recognition of APR. Both use shrink labels that can be recycled easily.
- Nov 2018 - Proplasa, a producer of shrink and stretch films for its parent company Grupo GEPP, a Mexican bottling company, has announced a partnership with Italian manufacturer Amut. The deal announced includes three co-ex lines for blown PE shrink film, one cast line for stretch film among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support