The marine lubricants market is expected to register a CAGR of approximately 2% during the forecast period (2019-2024).
- Rising demand for marine transport in Europe and Asia-Pacific is expected to drive the demand for the market, during the forecast period.
- Economic instabilities in shipbuilding economies is likely to hinder the market growth.
- Recovering shipbuilding and marine transport industry in the United States is projected to act as an opportunity for the market, in the future.
Key Market Trends
Marine Cylinder Lubricants – The Dominating Segment
- The marine cylinder lubricants occupy the largest share in the marine lubricants market.
- These lubricants find their application in vessels with either 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines, with 2-stroke engines occupying the majority of the share.
- For marine diesel engines operating on residual fuels containing sulfur, cylinder lubricants generally serve the following purposes:
- Form and maintain an oil film to prevent metal to metal contact between the cylinder liner and piston rings.
- Neutralize sulfuric acid in order to control corrosion.
- Clean the cylinder liner, and particularly the piston ring pack, to prevent malfunction and damage caused by combustion and neutralization residues.
- The ever tightening restrictions regarding the environment are pushing the marine cylinder lubricant manufacturers to develop new products continuously.
- With the growing naval trade globally, the merchant navy fleet is continuously increasing which will increase the consumption of marine cylinder lubricants; this will drive the marine lubricants market during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global marine lubricants market. With rising demand for majority of the industries and commodities, increasing trend for imports and exports has been registered in the recent years. The demand for basic commodities and raw material, including crude oil and natural gas, has accounted for an exceptional rise over the period. In line with the Paris Climate Pact, the major developing nations of Asia-Pacific are cutting down their daily usage of coal and converting to natural gas, majorly for power generation and cooking purpose. Natural gas is imported in Asia-Pacific, as the production is not sufficient to cope up with the demand. Hence, increasing marine activities are expected to drive the market for marine lubricants over the forecast period.
The marine lubricants market is highly fragmented. Key players in the market include Royal Dutch Shell PLC, BP PLC, Chevron Corporation, Lukoil, and ExxonMobil Corporation, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support