The market for leather chemicals is anticipated to register a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period. These chemicals are generally applied to hides or skins to prevent the deterioration caused by the micro-organisms, as well as to improve the texture of leather, thus, making them fit for several applications. The market is driven by its increasing demand from the automotive industry, owing to its increasing usage in automotive upholstery.
- Increasing demand for automotive upholstery and growing footwear and textile industries in Asia-Pacific are augmenting the growth of the market.
- Growing environmental concerns and stringent regulations and high operational cost are likely to hinder the market’s growth.
- Ongoing research to develop bio-based, eco-friendly products is projected to act as an opportunity for the market in future.
Key Market Trends
Textile Industry to Witness Higher Potential Growth
- Leather chemicals are generally applied on skins, to prevent the deterioration caused by microorganisms, as well as for improving the texture of leather, by making leather suitable for further applications.
- Leather is used for various applications, such as clothing and fashion in the textile and footwear industries, in interiors for the automotive industry, etc.
- The application of leather in the textile industry has currently been on the rise, owing to the changing preferences toward fashion-oriented generation.
- The world population is increasing annually, leading to rise in the textile industry. The global population is anticipated to reach 8.1 billion by 2025, which is impacting the growth of the textiles market. China is the world’s leading producer and exporter of both raw textiles and garments.
- According to IBEF, Indian textiles industry is expected to reach USD 250 billion in the future. India’s textiles industry contributed 15% to the export earnings of India and is estimated to rise further in the upcoming years.
- Moreover, according to the National Council of Textile Organizations in the United States, the value of shipments for US textiles and apparel was estimated at around USD 77.9 billion, and US exporters of fiber, textiles, and apparel production were USD 28.6 billion. This is expected to rise further in the upcoming years.
- Such factors are expected to drive the market for leather chemicals in the textile industry, through the forecast period.
In the Asia-Pacific Region, India to Dominate the Market
- India is expected to become a leader in the automotive industry by 2030, according to IBEF, providing opportunities for electric and commercial vehicles. The rise in demand is due to an increase in middle-class income and the growth in young population.
- Moreover, the Indian automotive industry became the fourth largest in the world, with sales increasing by 8% on an annual basis. Such increasing automotive industry is expected to increase the market for leather chemicals for its applications in the interior and exterior parts.
- According to IBEF, the Indian textile industry is expected to reach USD 230 billion by 2020. Huge initiatives are being undertaken by the Government of India, as the textile industry is witnessing a growth in the country.
- Additionally, according to the Indian footwear industry report, the footwear production is crossing approximately 22 billion pairs, annually, accounting for around 9.6% of the contribution to the global footwear output. India is the world’s third-largest footwear consumer, followed by China and the United States. About 90% of the footwear produced in India is consumed by the domestic market and the rest is exported by the country.
- The aforementioned factors are expected to drive the market growth for leather chemicals in the country.
The leather chemicals market is expected to be partially consolidated, with the top five-six players accounting for a significant share of the market. The leading players in the leather chemicals market include Stahl International BV, Dystar Singapore Pte Ltd, Lanxess, Elementis PLC, and Chemtan Company, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support