The High-Barrier Packaging Film market was valued at USD 9.41 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 12.81 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 5% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025.
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, global consumption of meat per capita in 2028 will be 35.1 kilograms which will be an increase from 34.4 kilograms in 2019. The increasing demand for meat consumption globally is propelling the demand for polyethylene a high-performing film. These films are ideal for fish, poultry, and meat packaging becue they are an excellent oxygen barrier, durable, and heat resistance.
- Moreover, pharmaceuticals sector poses a different set of demands for the packaging solutions, regarding insulation from external surroundings, high levels of protection, cost-effectiveness, and ease of handling. Thus, blister base high packaging films are widely used because these films do not allow the exchange of gases across the packaging and control the temperature within the package, thereby augmenting the market.
- However, due to volatile raw material prices and stringent government regulations in certain end-user industries are limiting the adoption of high-barrier packaging film market.
Scope of the Report
The high-barrier packaging film market reports give a detailed analysis of the different types of high-barrier packaging film products, materials, and their end-user industry. The high-barrier packaging film market has been segmented into different regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and Latin America. This reports also talk about key packaging film suppliers, key resin manufacturers, and key end-user base manufacturer profiles.
Key Market Trends
Pharmaceuticals Sector is Expected to Register a Significant Growth
- As the primary packaging materials are plastic because it protects the pharmaceutical product against oxygen and odor, water vapor transmission, moisture, contamination, and bacteria. These properties make polypropylene material a good choice for high barrier blister packaging. Polypropylene high-barrier films have a high melting point makes it suitable for boilable packages and for sterilizable products.
- Moreover, products packed in thermoforming films have higher product visibility because without compromising with the barrier properties of the packaging. These films are puncture resistance which enables manufacturers to use their products for packaging and can also help in easy transportation.
- For instance, Aptar Group provides Activ Blister packaging. The company uses silica gel and molecular sieve technology. The outfitted blisters can absorb tailored amounts of water vapor, oxygen, or a combination of the two, and can be produced in shapes and sizes to accommodate any tablet and capsule size. Aptar CSP Technologies developed Activ-Blister solutions that control the internal atmosphere of existing individual blister cavities, allowing for improved product performance and enhanced shelf-life.
- Additionally, increasing the demand for high-quality pharmaceutical packaging, hence stimulating the demand for bags & pouches packaging, as it protects the product against all the external influences, such as moisture, light, biological contamination, gases, and mechanical damage, which may affect its quality or effectiveness.
- Further, the manufacturers are also required to stringently follow ISO standards, such as the ISO 9001 quality management certifications to meet the demands of the customers. Therefore, high barriers films are more suitable for pharmaceuticals packaging, thereby augmenting the market.
Asia- Pacific to Witness Fastest Growth
- The Asia- Pacific region is expected to witness fastest growth owing to the ongoing trend of consumerism in the highly populated region such as India and China. Increasing buying power, the rising working population in the region is the major factor driving the high barrier packaging film market in the region.
- Moreover, as per the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the pharmaceutical sector in India by 232% and in China, it will see an increase of 230% between 2017- 2030. Therefore, advances in the pharmaceutical sector would help in increasing the demand for different high barrier packaging products such as blister base films.
- Further, with the vast rise in demand for packaged foods and beverages and the critical role played by pouch packaging in keeping packaged consumables fresh for extended periods are likely to boost the market in these regions.
- Therefore, all the above factors are expected to drive the high-barrier packaging film market in the Asia-Pacific region.
The high-barrier packaging film market is concentrated in nature because of the presence of many global players such as Amcor Plc, Glenroy, Inc., Celplast Metallized Products Limited, and Berry Global Group Inc. These players face stiff competition from the regional players in different countries as well. Companies are investing a large amount of their resources and money in the R&D to innovate new products meeting with the environment and government compliance. Some recent developments are:
- June 2019 - Innovia Films, a division of CCL Industries, launched its new range of transparent high barrier packaging films, Strata SL. The company also claims that Strata SL provides a barrier to the aroma, mineral oils, and oxygen even at high humidity levels, which ensures increased shelf life and reduces the food waste. Its, glossy film is also food contact compliant and chlorine-free, according to Innovia.
- April 2019 - Cosmo Films Limited introduced a cast polypropylene (CPP) film for packaging applications requiring high moisture & oxygen barrier and high hot tack properties. The heat-sealable CPP films also offer high hot tack (>600gf/inch over a range of 100- 140-degree Celsius) and low seal initiation temperature. They are well suited for biscuits, cookies & crackers, snack food applications, chocolates, and ice-creams.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support