The market for greenhouse film is expected to register a CAGR of more than 8%, globally, during the forecast period. Greenhouse film provides an enclosed and covered structure for maintenance of a controlled growing environment for crops. Greenhouse film is designed to trap the sun's rays and create a warm humid atmosphere for the efficient growth of crops. The growing demand for greenhouse films for improving agricultural yield and growing demand for greenhouse protected cultivation have been driving the market growth.
-However, the short life span of these films in comparison to polycrabonate sheets is expected to hamper the market growth. Moreover, the unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are also exected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
-The growing pattern of developing the out-of-season crops in the greenhouse is expected to propel the growth of greenhouse films for the next few years as the crops are a good source of income for farmers.
-The Asia-Pacific region dominates the greenhouse film market, owing to the growing demand for food and government initiatives to improve the agricultural yield in the region.
Key Market Trends
LDPE Segment to Dominate the Market
- The LDPE segment stands to be the dominating segment. Factors, such as rising demand for high quality film to sustain adverse climatic conditions ,are expected to provide drive the greenhouse film market.
- LDPE has superior properties than other resin types, like better thickness, optical properties, and resistance to excess sunlight and the external environment, which are expected to drive the LDPE resin-based greenhouse film market.
- Moreover, it has greater flexibility and transparency, and it is comparitively cheaper than other polymer films. Thus, these attributes are anticipated to boost their application in the agriculture industry.
- LDPE is expected to witness demand from the greenhouse film market, owing to the containment of no plasticizers and no heavy metals, as well as it produces no toxic fumes or gases on burning.
- Asia-Pacific registered the fastest growth rate, owing to significant growth in population, technical expertise in the agriculture sector, and government participation in countries of Asia-Pacific.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region stands to be the fastest growing market for greenhouse films. Factors, such as increasing greenhouse cultivations, owing to the rising need for appropriate environmental conditions, have been driving the greenhouse film requirements in the region.
- Greenhouse film offers protection to crops against the effects of frost, wind, rain, and fluctuating temperature, while ensuring high quality and faster ripening, enabling harvest of several crops in one year.
- The increasing need to enhance agricultural yield, along with a growing focus on nutritious food products and indoor farming, is expected to boost the growth of the greenhouse film industry. Yields, for example, tomatoes, lettuce, basil, and cucumbers, develop outside just during a particular period in the year. These harvests command significant expenses commercially. Greenhouse films used in greenhouse structures help in the cultivation of these crops during their off-season, thereby reducing their costs.
- Favorable government initiatives for protected agriculture are helping the growth of greenhouse films in countries, like China, India. Thailand, and Japan.
- In China, the structure of the agriculture industry has been continuously transforming, with the modern technologies prompting all-round development of farming and forestry. Thus, increasing the agriculture industry, which, in turn, is expected to drive the market for greenhouse films.
- In terms of the agriculture industry, India is the largest producer of spices, pulses, and tea, and the second largest producer of wheat, rice, fruits, and vegetables. This widens the usage of greenhouse films in the country, thus driving the market.
- ASEAN countries are one of the major contributors to the agriculture sector in the region, with countries like Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia contributing majorly.
- Hence, all such market trends are expected to drive the demand for greenhouse films in the region during the forecast period.
The global greenhouse film market is fragmented in nature with some large players and many small players operating in the market. Some of the prominent players in the market include Polifilm Group, Essen Multipack, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Ginegar Plastic Products Ltd, and Berry Global, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support