The market for cryolite is expected to register a CAGR more than 4%, globally, during the forecast period. Cryolite is an inorganic compound with the formula Na3AlF3. Cryolite is generally manufactured from aluminum oxide, sodium hydroxide, and hydrofluoric acid, or their equivalent reagent, hexafluorosilicic acid. Cryolite is a fluxing agent with a low melting point. In large amounts, cryolite can become volatile in the presence of silica. Furthermore, it can cause blistering. Owing to the versatile and favorable chemical properties of cryolite, its applications in aluminum smelting and the abrasive production segment are rising at a rapid pace, consequently propelling the market growth.
- However, the health hazards related to cryolite, such as damage to organs through prolonged exposure, are likely to hinder the expansion of the market studied. Moreover, sudden halt in production due unfavorable conditions arising from the COVID-19 outbreak is expected to hamper the demand during the forecast period.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market’s growth across the world, mainly due to the increasing consumption of cryolite from countries, such as China and India.
Key Market Trends
Aluminum Smelting to Dominate the Market
- The aluminum smelting segment stands to be the dominating segment, owing to large scale consumption of cryolite as a flux in the production of aluminum.
- Increasing demand for aluminum in the automotive industry for manufacturing lightweight, high strength, and fuel-efficient vehicles is expected to drive the market’s growth over the forecast period.
- Demand for cryolite is anticipated to increase, as it is widely used for the extraction of aluminum, which finds applications in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, packaging, consumer goods, electrical goods, building and construction, and machinery and equipment.
- Asia-Pacific countries, like China and India, have been registering strong growth in terms of utilization of aluminum smelting. China is the single largest aluminum producer in the Asian region and globally. The demand for the cryolite market is projected to increase during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region stands to be the largest and fastest growing market for cryolite. Factors, such as increasing consumption in various end-user industries, primarily the aluminum industry will drive the market’s growth.
- Beneficial attributes of aluminum include better inherent strength, thermal conductivity, and corrosion resistance. Due to these factors, aluminum products are broadly used in the transportation industry. Thus, the demand for aluminum is expected to drive the market growth for cryolite.
- China, being the single largest producer of aluminum, is expected to drive the demand for cryolite in the region.
- Cryolite is used as a coloring agent and opacifier in end-use industries, such as pyrotechnic, glass, ceramics, and enamel production. This is likely to drive the market growth.
- Various applications of cryolite include the production of abrasives, welding agents, soldering agents, blasting, glazing frits, and glass and pyrotechnics. Moreover, it finds applications in metal surface treatment and as a component in pickling pastes for stainless steel.
- The Asian region, which is considered as the industrial hub across the world, is the leading producer of abrasives, glass, and ceramics. These established industries are expected to contribute to the demand for cryolite during the forecast period.
- Hence, all such market trends are expected to drive the demand for cryolite in the region during the forecast period.
The global cryolite market is fragmented with the presence of a few large-sized players and a large number of small players. Some of the major companies are Solvay, Dupré Minerals Limited, Fluorsid SpA, SB Chemicals, and Purex Global, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support