The antimicrobial packaging market was valued at USD 8.6 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 12.4 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 5.89% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. Increasing awareness about consumer health and greater shelf life of products has resulted in improved usage for antimicrobial packaging products. The requirement for ready-to-eat, minimally treated and efficiently prepared food is growing day-by-day. Initially, the packaging of foods was primarily to give protective and barrier functions, against physical and environmental losses. Though, the growth or decay due to microorganisms in the packaged foodstuff has still maintained to cause intricacies regarding food safety and quality. To deal with this difficulty, the concept of ‘Active Packaging’ was added, where different active substances are included in the packaging material to enhance its functionality.
- One of the main drivers of the antimicrobial packaging market is the growing demand for packaged food. An accelerating number of working women, migration of people from urban to rural regions, and a rise in disposable income in developing economies are the factors that feed the demand for packaged food. At times, packaged food is favored over fresh food, because of quality and hygiene. Furthermore, it is convenient and made palatable.
- The antimicrobial packaging industry has an opportunity to join the beverage packaging business, where antimicrobial agents can be employed to improve the shelf life of alcoholic, non-alcoholic and dairy-based beverages and drinks. Fruit juices, flavored milk, wines, etc. can be packaged using antimicrobial films or sheets. Antimicrobial packaging can also be employed for cosmetic packaging, which would enhance the quality and shelf life of the products.
- The Asia-Pacific region ruled the market, globally, owing to the numerous application in industries, such as healthcare, packaging, food and beverage, and consumer goods.
Scope of the Report
Antimicrobial packaging relates to the application of active packaging. The especially designed antimicrobial packaging checks the superficial evolution of bacteria and pathogens in food by applying antimicrobial medium where a large portion of spillage and contamination happens, permitting a well-ordered discharge of antimicrobial mediators into the food surface throughout the storage.
Key Market Trends
Plastics Material is expected to Drive the Market's Growth
- Antimicrobial plastics deliver active agents into food products, helping to restrain the growth of microorganisms and enhance shelf life. These releasing compounds keep food quality and decrease the need for preservatives and additives thus aiding to maintain health and fitness. These elements are used to preserve the plastic products, tablets, and medical equipment against bacteria and fungal outgrowth. Antimicrobial preservatives such as ethanol, cresol, phenol, bronopol, and parabens can be added to pharmaceutical products to defend against microbial contamination.
-The healthcare industry is the principal consumer of antimicrobial packaging, offering numerous advantages, such as sterility, cleanliness, ease of use, convenience, and low cost, over traditional materials in the healthcare industry. The intricate epidemiological situation, microbial contamination, healthcare-associated infections (HAIs), nosocomial infections, and infection risks in hospitals and dental equipment are driving the need for prevention of microbial infections. The requirement for recycling disposable medical products provided innumerable opportunities for the development of antimicrobial solutions.
-Antimicrobial plastics and packaging are used in hospitals, and care homes, primarily for products, such as cubicle curtains, beds, nurse call systems, handrails, floors, door handles, pull cords, and case noteholders. In addition, antimicrobial packaging is used for packing medical devices, such as connectors, tubing, syringes, and connectors, as well as a broad variety of molded parts. Thus, with the growing healthcare-associated infections in the healthcare industry, the usage of antimicrobial plastics is expected to increase significantly over the forecast period.
APAC Holds a Dominant Position in Antimicrobial Packaging
- The Asia Pacific region is expected to dominate the overall market of antimicrobial packaging over the forecast period. Factors such as the rising demand for food between the youths & adults are anticipated to fuel the growth of the Asia Pacific antimicrobial packaging market over the forecast period. Further, factors such as the increasing prevalence of diseases are envisioned to increase the growth of the global antimicrobial packaging market in the Asia Pacific over the forecast period. Moreover, Asia Pacific is poised to witness an impressive demand for antimicrobial packaging materials, also due to the rising preference for convenience food, consumer awareness, and a fast-paced lifestyle that can further create growth opportunities in this region.
- Asia-Pacific offers latent growth opportunities, as developing countries such as China and India are predicted to be emerging markets, making this region also the most agile burgeoning market for antimicrobial packaging. The maturity of the antimicrobial packaging market in this region is also propelled by factors such as the growth of the healthcare, food & beverage, consumer goods, personal care, and agricultural products industry. Also growing population and economic development are other factors. However, due to fluctuations in the raw material prices, stringent compliance to regulations, and the need for continuous technological advancements and research & development in APAC, the companies are exposed to possible risks and are limiting the growth of the antimicrobial packaging market.
The antimicrobial packaging market will witness intense competition in the years to come due to the emergence of newer companies and evolving consumer demands. The presence of numerous small and medium businesses and large global organizations can further intensify the market competition. Some of the topmost manufacturers such as BASF SE, Dow Chemical, Mondi Plc, and Dunmore Corp., amongst many others, are expected to make investments in terms of operational development across developing regions like the Asia Pacific and the Middle East and Africa.
- October 2019 - BASF launches a new defoamer - Foamaster WO 2360, that complies with principal food contact regulations for adhesives, paper coating applications, and functional packaging, which is compliant with China’s food contact regulation GB 9685-2016 for adhesives and major food contact regulations such as Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) Title 21, Food Contact Materials Regulation (EC), Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung (BfR) and Swiss Ordinance on Food Contact Materials for packaging.
- September 2019 - Mondi, Werner & Mertz partner to develop a fully recyclable, flexible, stand-up pouch for W&M’s Frosch-brand laundry detergent. The project applied Cradle to Cradle (or C2C) principles to assess every aspect of the product, from design to optimal end-of-life options, to close the packaging loop.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support