The silicon epitaxial wafer market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.42% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Based on polished wafers, epitaxial wafers feature an additionally deposited monocrystalline surface layer. They are necessary for the manufacturing of highly integrated semiconductor Elements (ICs), image sensors (CIS), and certain power semiconductors.
- The rise in demand for LED lights has favored the market substantially. With the growing demand for high-performance alternatives in the lighting industry, Epitaxial wafer has emerged as the best material for optimal performance.
- The manufacturing facilities around the globe is focussed on improving the efficiency of the processes by capturing precise and accurate data. The epi-wafers with features like thicker epi layers finds their applications in the devices like gyroscopes to improve the precision with which the readings are recorded.
- Complexities associated with the design will act as a major restraint for the market.
Scope of the Report
Epitaxy is commonly done through chemical vapor deposition, which is basically a process that forms a non-volatile solid film on a substrate from reactions of the appropriate chemical vapors. There are four major chemical sources of silicon for commercial epitaxial deposition silicon tetrachloride (SiCl4); trichlorosilane (SiHCl3); dichlorosilane (SiH2Cl2); and silane (SiH4).
Key Market Trends
Automotive is Expected to Hold a Significant Market Share
Silicon epitaxy wafer used in semiconductor plays a significant role in car technology. They find their applications in several car products like navigation control, infotainment systems, and collision detections. Silicon Wafer's role in car technology is improving at a fast pace.
They continue to transform automobiles by playing an essential role in driverless and smart cars. Thanks to the significant role that they play, like cars and car technology, continues to advance, automotive power ICs are showing healthy growth. The market for silicon wafers and semiconductors will continue to flourish, both in North America and around the rest of the globe.
The improvements and adjustments to etch processes have been necessary to implement these schemes, that involve more magnificent aspect ratio structures. Optimized epi Si films and improved implant doping profiles also have enabled performance gains.
North America is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share.
Power device manufacturers are striving for further improvements. This has opened numerous opportunities for silicon epitaxial providers in the United Staes. Multinational companies with their market presence in the United States are focussing on product innovation. Hitachi launched a high-conductivity IGBT which employs a separate floating player to improve gate controllability and turn-on voltage. ABB Semi is planning to create P-pillar implants under the trench gates to create a super-junction effect to enable higher switching speeds.
According to the SEMI Silicon Manufacturers Group (SMG) in its quarterly analysis of the silicon wafer industry, worldwide silicon wafer area shipments increased during the third quarter 2018, surpassed record second quarter 2018 area shipments to set another new all-time high.
High silicon sales in the region point towards the high adoption rate of silicon for different semiconductor applications. As silicon emerges as the preferred element to induce high performance, the silicon epitaxy market is expected to realize a boost in the adoption rates.
The silicon epitaxial wafer market is moderately competitive and consists of a significant amount of major players. In terms of market share, none of the major players currently dominate the market. With an increased focus on product innovation, manufacturers are launching product offering with unique features. The companies are getting engaged in mergers and acquisitions in order to stay competitive.
- October 2016: GlobalWafers Co., Ltd. acquired Topsil Semiconductor Materials A/S which is a world-leading supplier of ultra-pure silicon to the global semiconductor industry. The companies have been working closely together for almost 20 years. The acquisition will enable GlobalWafers Co., Ltd. to expand its operation into float zone wafers and solidify its global position within the semiconductor industry.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support