The global polycarbonate sheets and films market is estimated to witness a healthy growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 4%, over the forecast period. The major factor driving the growth of the market studied is increasing popularity of polycarbonate against conventional materials.
- Impact of COVID-19 pandemic is likely to hinder the markets growth.
- Emerging applications in the medical sector, as an alternative to PPSU and PSU sheets are likely to create opportunities for the market in the coming years.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Multi-walled Sheets to Witness a Stable Growth
- Multi-walled polycarbonate sheets are lightweight, provide high impact strength and thermal insulation, are UV resistant, and have excellent transparency. These types of sheets are used for architectural roofing and glazing, skylights and sidelights, roofing applications, signage and displays, decorative partitions, and greenhouses.
- They are also widely used in air conditioning and heating, as they prevent the hot air exhausted from the servers from mixing with the conditioned air, which helps the servers to operate at their peak efficiency.
- The construction sector of Asia-Pacific has been witnessing a steady growth, in the recent past, owing to the presence of fast-growing economies, rapid urbanization, and rising infrastructure spending. The increasing presence of foreign companies in the Asia-Pacific region has also created demand for the construction of new offices, buildings, production houses, etc., thereby, driving the growth of the construction sector in the region.
- Thus, the demand for polycarbonate multi-walled sheets is likely to grow across the world during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market. In the region, China is the largest economy, in terms of GDP. China is one of the fastest emerging economies and has become one of the biggest production houses in the world, today. The country’s manufacturing sector is one of the major contributors to the country’s economy.
- China is the largest manufacturer of automobiles in the world. The country’s automotive sector has been shaping up for product evolution, with the country focusing on manufacturing products, in order to ensure fuel economy, and to minimize emissions (owing to the growing environmental concerns due to mounting pollution in the country).
- The production is expected to reach 30 million units by 2020, owing to the “Made in China 2025” initiative support in upgrading the existing low-cost mass production to higher value-added advanced manufacturing. “Automobile Mid and Long-Term Development Plan”, was released in 2017, with an objective to make China a strong auto power in the next ten years.
- China’s 13th Five Year Plan started in 2016, as it was an important year for the country’s engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) industry. In addition, the country ventured into new business models domestically and internationally, during the year. Although the construction sector slowed down after 2013, it is still a major contributor to the GDP of the country. The China’s construction industry developed rapidly in the recent past, due to the central government’s push for infrastructure investment, as a mean to sustain economic growth.
- Due to all such factors, the market for polycarbonate sheets and films in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
The polycarbonate sheets and films market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the major players in the market include Covestro AG, LG Chem, SABIC, TEIJIN LIMITED, and Trinseo, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support